Potted palm older than the USA

ndemge

Commander
Re: Potted palm older than the USA

wow, be carefull spraying roundup on the weeds around that one

NYMINUTE

Captain

Have a guy in the shop that planted the thing. He has to be a kizillion years old. Even his dentures are gray. :p

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Beauty of a tree.. I have a soft spot for palms.. :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I have visited Kew Gardens a few times, the last time was in the early 80's, it's a horticuturist dream.

ebbtide176

Commander

i have a soft spot for old timey type trees too. i ran across a weird looking tree when helping my old(3x)employers' receptionist move out of a rental house from an atlanta suburb. it had long blackberry-looking fruit. i looked it up on the www, and i believe it was a mulberry tree.<br /><br />it was back in the wooded part of the small lot. i took 2 sprigs from underneath it. after 2yrs of laying under my deck, i transplanted them, and both are about 2' high now. i can't wait to see them put out fruit one day, even if the birds eat it all. :D

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Originaly posted by ebb<br /> i can't wait to see them put out fruit one day, even if the birds eat it all. <br />
I hope you don't have to wait as long as they do at Kew for this palm to fruit: the last time was 184 years ago.<br /><br />What I find amazing about this palm is how many people (long since passed) who have stood looking at it.<br />To think that had George Washington ever visited Kew he would have seen this plant. (I know: he was a bit busy in 1755 and probably didn't have the time, I don't think he would have been very popular in London either)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

How much water do ya think that thing's drunk??<br /><br />ebb, NEVER park your car under that Mullberry tree! Birds love the fruit and so will you. You know how quick berries go through birds right? If yours is American Mullberry it will grow more slowly than the Asian Mullberry which is a fast growing weedy tree.