Possibly misdiagnosed

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had been having the problem of a possible replacement needed for the adapter to powerhead gasket but now I think it may be something different. I thought that exhaust was getting under the cowling because of this gasket but a few minutes ago I pulled the boat out and hooked it up to the hose via muffs. I cranked it right up with the cowling on and it even reved with no cut offs, it sounded great. So it seems it only does this when it is in the water. Possibly because the engine is actually under strain when it is in the water. What could the problem be since it runs fine with cowling on outside of water but the exact opposite when it is in the water?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Possibly misdiagnosed

When the unit is under water, there is something called "backpressure" where the exhaust cannot force it's way under water to exit the propeller. So, there is an exhaust relief mid-way up the exhaust leg. In your case, there is an additional exhaust relief - whereever it is leaking, which only comes into play where there is backpressure enough to make it leak...
- Scott

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So there is a good chance that this gasket is still the problem?

iwombat

Captain

That's what he's saying. And, I would tend to agree.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Look at the gasket in the parts list. See the cross-piece? Exhaust gasses are on one side of it and the other side is open to the cowling area. So if that section of gasket blows out, exhaust gets under the hood.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this may seem like an amateur question but where exactly is the pee hole on my 90HP 1992 Evinrude E90TLEND?

iwombat

Captain

You'll see a tube coming off the exhaust cover and into a bulk-head fitting in the lower cowl.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

with a manual and it hopefully being a freshwater motor the replacement of the powerhead gasket is pretty staight forward,
getting the bolts out will probaly be your biggest prob .

you will be surprised at what you can do. with manual and some help from
thjese forums it should be easy enough for you,

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks alot for the help. One quick question: When I am using the earmuffs is the pee hole supposed to just drip or not put out water at all? There are a lot of leaks around the earmuffs so if I tighted it up it should stray more?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is suppose to put out a good strong stream, just like in the water.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What I order the manual from outboardbooks.com what is the difference between the service manual set and the service manual? Which one should I get? Also is there an alternator or anything like that on my model? Any way to charge the battery?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Pick up the phone and ask them what the difference is . I would assume a "set" includes more than one model, but I really don't know that.

I haven't looked, but I can't imagine your motor not having an alternator.