Possibly dumb question about Battery and Stereos.

cheejudo

Seaman
I havent got a chance to take my boat out yet... But i have always wondered about boats..... here it gooes... Is there some sort of alternator on boats that charge the battery while it runs? Im curious how long can I listen to my stereo without draining my battery?

go easy on me

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Possibly dumb question about Battery and Stereos.

I/O's have alternators, basically no different than a car electrical system. SOME outboards have alternators, but the majority do not. The charging system on the non-alternator outboards is good for 10-15 amps, barely enough to keep the battery charged normally...

If you plan on listening to the stereo a lot with the engine off, put in a dual battery setup with a battery isolator. The bigger question is what kind of stereo? A simple head unit with 4 speakers can go A LONG time on a battery. I've also built stereo systems that would flatten a battery in 15 minutes tops.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Possibly dumb question about Battery and Stereos.

My Honda 115HP Charges my battery just fine. I don't have a bunch of kickers and 1000 watt amps but my marine Radio and 4 speakers have never killed my battery even when we are anchored for hours.. paranoia does kick in and I tend to crank up the engine every couple of hours to be sure I have enough juice...