possible shift cable problem

richardson61

Seaman Apprentice
have a 93 SeaRay with a 4.3L and Alpha drive. Motor is stalling out when shifting into reverse. Will run in reverse if I baby it just into reverse at idle, but when any throttle is applied it stalls. Also at times will not come out of reverse unless I briskly push into neutral. Forward works just fine. My question is do I have a bad cable or could it be a cable adjustment problem?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: possible shift cable problem

Ayuh,... Bad Cable...

richardson61

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the shift cable adjusted according to manual and am still having the same problem is there a trick to adjusting?

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I replaced the shift cable adjusted according to manual and am still having the same problem is there a trick to adjusting?

Richardson did you replace the cable from the shift box (control) or the cable from the engine to the drive ??????

fish

richardson61

Seaman Apprentice

I replaced the cable from the engine to the drive unit

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Which manual did you use? Mercruiser service manual or aftermarket (Seloc, etc) manual?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you make sure the shift shaft in the bellhousing moved freely while you had the drive off? How about the one in the outdrive? Did the cable move effortlessly after installing it but before you hooked it up to either end? Was in an OEM or aftermarket cable. I once installed an aftermarket that was stiff right from the beginning. Had to replace it.

richardson61

Seaman Apprentice

Got it fixed, was just out of adjustment. The shift cable stud was all the way up the slot moved it down and its working fine now.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

a adjustment does work , my feeling is if cable moves freely it just needs adjusted . wish you would have tried to adjust first or did you?

richardson61

Seaman Apprentice

No unfortunatly I had replaced the cable, had tried adjusting the old one with no luck. Probably was just not adjusting it correctly and it was fine, cause old cable appeared to be fine upon inpection but I felt the foot at the end of cablle in the lower unit appeared a little worn.

Bondo

Staff member

cause old cable appeared to be fine upon inpection but I felt the foot at the end of cablle in the lower unit appeared a little worn.

Ayuh,.. Even worn out cables don't really look or feel bad.....But they're still Junk...