Possible Johnson Purchase

jdilo1

Cadet
I'm looking at several Stratos boat and they all pretty much seem to have 150hp Johnson motors. I'm more familiar with Mercs so I was hoping someone could give me some tips on good years/bad years, good models/bad models. Any info is really appreciated. Thanks

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Possible Johnson Purchase

Almost all Johnson Evinrude years are good years.The only ones that I would stay away from are Ficht engines from about 98,99 and 2000.They caused the bankruptcy of OMC.But even these engines were fixed after the factory recalls and repairs.You just never know whether the one you buy was fixed.

tigershark2

Cadet

What year motor are you looking at?

Make sure you have someone check compression and even a leak down test before handing over your money!!!

jdilo1

Cadet

Thanks for the info and tips. I don't have a specific year yet, just a lot of the boats from the mid to late 90's seem to have Johnson engines on them. Thanks again.

jdilo1

Cadet

OK, so I may have found one. Not sure exactly of the year, but since it's a 1995 boat, I assume it's a 95 Johnson 175 Fast Strike. Anybody know any issues with those? Thanks for the help.

jonesg

Admiral

No issues. check compression and test ride it.
If you know outboards you know what to look for, gear oil etc.
Optical ignition engine, nice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IF the first letter in the model # is "F" it is a Ficht, stay away from them.

BUYING A USED MOTOR
Note, V 6 usually have a lower compression rate, 90 psi.
overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

jdilo1

Cadet

So the model number is VJ175GLETG so it's not a Ficht. Thanks for all the help and advice. I appreciate it. Let me know if anyone has any knowledge of issues with this model. Thanks.