Possible Gas leak

Jzervos

Cadet
I have an aluminum gas tank, and believe it has a 15 gallon capacity. I took the hatch off while I was painting the boat, and noticed things were very wet underneath. I believe it was because the gap was not sealed very well. I tried to see what the label on the tank said, but I was unable to read any of it. The sending unit, supply line, and another hose which I believe is the overflow/vent hose is located on top. I had the tung propped up to allow any water to drain, and left it that way overnight. When I checked the boat in the morning, there was close to a half gallon of fuel on the driveway, which had dripped out of the drain hole. It appeared the leak was coming from the vent hose and there was some excess fuel on top of the tank. I tightened the hose clamps and put the tung at its normal height, and the leak stopped. I waited before I returned the cover and sealed everything back up. Is this a problem, or should things be ok? The hoses are the tank are covered in foam, so replacing the hose or tank without hours of work is out of the question. I believe the weight of the fuel against the top and rear side of the tank caused it to be forced out of any available gap. Any info would be appreciated.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Possible Gas leak

Check the sending unit gasket,don't over tighten the screws.99% of the time when water gets in a below deck fuel tank,its getting in there!DON'T use any type of silicon as a sealer around gas,it breaks down to a gel.

rwidman

Lieutenant

The hoses are the tank are covered in foam, so replacing the hose or tank without hours of work is out of the question. I believe the weight of the fuel against the top and rear side of the tank caused it to be forced out of any available gap. Any info would be appreciated.
Regardless of the time and effort involved, you must get this repaired ASAP and before you use the boat. This is a dangerous situation; gasoline can explode. If you suspect gaskets, replace them, don't try to seal the existing ones. If the tank is leaking, replace it. Same for hoses. There should not be an "available gap".

Bondo

Staff member

Is this a problem, or should things be ok? The hoses are the tank are covered in foam, so replacing the hose or tank without hours of work is out of the question.
Unfortunately,.............<br />I see Only 2 options.............<br />Alot of Work,..... Or,. A Large Explosion, Fire,+ Possibly Deaths..................<br /><br />Ayuh,...... I'd Fix it Before it goes Anywhere.............

Jzervos

Cadet

I think the problem is solved. As far as i could tell the boat was propped up too high and the pressure from the fuel in the back of the tank caused it to come out of the hoses. Put the boat level and nothing came out. Seems to be fine now.

D

DJ

The hose connections should be fluid tight, regardless of the attitude of the boat. You'll get fuel to those fittings under normal boating activity.<br /><br />FIX THEM, regardless of the foam.<br /><br />If the hoses are five years old, or older, I would replace them.<br /><br />This is NOT something to ignore.<br /><br />By the way, ALL fuel hoses, fill/vent/outlet should be double clamped.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On a hot day the gas in the tank will expand pushing vapors out, same place gas came out. Vapors go BOOM!!!<br /><br />I would pressure test the tank. I would not count on I THINK THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED if it was me.<br /><br />Two years ago in Nashville Tn. a person had the same problem. The authorities think he may have been smoking when he go on his boat. Twenty three boats, docks and covering went up in smoke. He never had to explain what happened. I think we all know why. His fishing buddy who stayed home told about the problems with the gas tank. He said "he thought he had the problem fixed".

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like you are trying to avoid getting down there and fixing the problem. Trust us, your problem is not fixed. Any connection that leaks upon the slight pressure increase caused by a liquid level change is unsafe, simple as that. You and your family could be killed, and this is not being overly dramatic. It happens all the time to unsuspecting boaters.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.................<br /><br />Gasoline Leaks are Not something to Think that it's Fixed................<br />
explosion_2.jpg

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remember this date: April 2-2005. The day Bondo & Stratocaster agreed on something :D <br /><br />Great picture.

tnastro

Cadet

Is that really how you spell "tongue" or is it "tung" - get it pressure tested.