Portable garages?

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone here used one of these for winter storage for thier boat? Any endorsements or types to stay away from? Just got a bigger boat so the cousins barn is not an option :(

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Portable garages?

I have a 12x24' Weathergard dometop unit.<br />Works great, door is a bit of a pain.<br /><br />4 years old, polt tarp top is getting weak.<br />Have actually found a few small splits.<br /><br />I concidered getting an industrial tarp made, like the ones they use on flatbed semi trailers, but it would cost way way too much.<br /><br />Decided the old van will sit outside this winter, and the boat will be in the garage.<br /><br />Will probably get a cheap tarp to put over the top and store misc stuff in there for a few years.

tommays

Admiral

many of them have problems with snow loads to the point were they have to be cleared during and overnight storm or they will collapse.<br /><br /><br />tommays

Link

Rear Admiral

Well stay away from these or anything NAOP makes.<br /> http://www.gijoes.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1396744 <br /><br />We bought one of these 12 X 20 X 8' Garage in a box from GI Joes. Lasted one year and the company wont sell replacement canvas (if you can call it that) <br /><br />Via the internet I contacted at least 10 companies that sell them and each one told me the same thing.. you have to buy the whole thing again.. what a rip off.

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,<br /> My rig is a little over 30' from trailer ball to the back of the motor, so I'll need a kind of large enclosure. I was just looking for some first hand info before the purchase.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Newportme, I have a rig that is just about as big. Cabin cruiser with a bridge. I made a frame out of half inch conduit and put over the bridge like a cap. On the aft deck I use my anchor line to go from the bridge to the stern railing making supports to keep the cover from collapsing into the aft deck. Then I put one of those very large blue tarps over the whole thing. A tarp will usually last me 3 winter seasons. Makes a big difference on keeping the boat in shape. Have had several large snows and ice storms and it held up excellent.<br /><br />I too had thought about one of those protable units. I cruised around (back when gas was cheaper) and asked others how they liked them. After our winter storms, they didn't care for them. The snow load caused them to collapse onto their boats. They were very unhappy with them. To me they just don't hold up in high winds and mother natures snow storms.