Portable AC

K5WAS

Seaman
Re: Portable AC

If you don't use the holding tank option is won't properly dehumidify the room, then you have the trouble of emptying the water. It looks as though in heat mode it uses resistance heat which is costly to operate. A better, more efficant option would be to use a convential window unit, and if you want heat, window heat pumps are available which in heat mode are much less costly than the portablle unit with resistance heat strips.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If it is an evaporative type A/C, they wont work in high humidity environments.<br /><br />Ken

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used one in my Attic bedroom. Never got it cold but made it confortable.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Thanks Guys. I forwarded this post to my bro. He lives in FL as well so the humidity IS a tad on the high side :D

deofc

Seaman

Main AC went out in our small office building in Columbia, SC July 2.......owners gave every office one of those units....didn't really cool a 16X16 room very well.......They were great as long as they were blowing right at you and they worked OK in the morning........gets hot and humid here in the summer.........by the afternoon they are pretty worthless. I bypassed the holding tank and let the water empty into a 5 gallon bucket. At best they made things tolerable.