Port Side Outdrive will not go back up.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am new to Big Boat thing and hope this is easy. I have twin outdrives. One stopped working today. I am also getting clicking sound. Do they both outdrives work run off same soleniod? And is it the same solenoid thats on starter that runs trims? When I tried starting port motor the solenoid was smokin. Is this the problem?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Port Side Outdrive will not go back up.

Do they both outdrives work run off same soleniod?
Nope,...
And is it the same solenoid thats on starter that runs trims?
Nope,...
When I tried starting port motor the solenoid was smokin. Is this the problem?
Nope,... But it is A problem...

They're called Twins for a Reason,.... It's Twin systems with 2 of Everything....

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, heres what I did. I took the whole solenoid unit of the starboard side that was working and put it on the port(which wasnt working) It sill only clicks.
I also put the solenoid unit that wasn't working from the port side pump and put it on the starboard side. (It didn't work either. it only clicks also).
And when I put everything back where it was it (starboard) pump worked again..

Why woulnd't the good solenoid unit work on port pump when the (Thought to be bad) solenoid unit didn't work on starboard side pump that I know works?

Does this mean my solenoid unit and pump are both bad, or is there a short somplace for port pump?

And I did fix the starter problem (no more smoke)

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

OK, heres what I did. I took the whole solenoid unit of the starboard side that was working and put it on the port(which wasnt working) It sill only clicks.
I also put the solenoid unit that wasn't working from the port side pump and put it on the starboard side. (It didn't work either. it only clicks also).
And when I put everything back where it was it (starboard) pump worked again..

Why woulnd't the good solenoid unit work on port pump when the (Thought to be bad) solenoid unit didn't work on starboard side pump that I know works?

Does this mean my solenoid unit and pump are both bad, or is there a short somplace for port pump?

And I did fix the starter problem (no more smoke)

Sounds like the problem is in the port motor or heavy red (HOT)wire on the port side.Take a screwdriver and jump it across the solenoid between the heavy red and heavy blue wires.Red should ALWAYS be HOT-Blue is up-Green is down. If needed check heavy red with a volt meter.Should always be hot.May have a bad solenoid on the port side ALSO beings it didn't work on the starboard side.Test solenoids w/screwdriver.