Port side Evinrude 150 overheating - Help

Britar

Cadet
Good morning.

This is my first post in iBoats, I've been reading for a few days. I'm a jeeper and hang out on a similar board for old Jeeps. I love these communities, very helpful and knowledgeable. That said, I'm also an able mechanic, just new to outboards.

I just recently got this boat from my brother in law. It has been sitting for several years in his driveway, so we both thought it was time it saw some water.

1990 Evinrude 150 (E150STLESB) on a 21' Kenner Center Console.

-----
History
Two years ago one of the cylinder banks was overheating, my brother in law pulled the lower and says he was able to flush out a piece of rubber that had lugged it. I believe him because he took my brother fishing on it in the bay soon after and had no problems.

-----
Now
Yesterday, I went to fire it up with the muffs on it, forgot to turn on the water and ran it for about 20 sec before I realized and turned off the engine. I turned on the water, restarted the engine and let it run for a few minutes.
Constant steady tell-tale of water. The little relief hole on the starboard side was shooting water. Some water was leaking from between the lower and midsection.
Then I got the steady warning beep of overheating. I shut down the engine, grabbed my temp gun and popped off the cover.
The starboard bank was about 125, the port was close to 200 deg.

I pulled the thermostat housings hoping that this was the problem. No thermostats in either bank. It actually looked like a PO had hollowed out the thermostats and left the outer gaskets so they would seat. The plungers? for high speed cooling were in pace, old, but in place.

I'm afraid I fried the impeller and shot junk into the cooling passages. :eek:
Either way, I'm planning on picking up the whole impeller/pump kit and new thermostats and such.

Do you all have any insight or thoughts on what this could be?

Also, how in the world do I flush out the passages?! and ensure I cleared it before I put the motor back together?

I tried to shoot some water into the thermostat housing last night but it just seemed to go nowhere and just shoot back out. ( I did still have the motor together.)

Thank you for your help.

Brian
Cleveland/Coldspring Texas - Lake Livingston