Poppot gromet

jfbetz

Seaman Apprentice
While changing the Poppit valve in my Yamaha 250 ox66, I managed to push the old rubber gromet into the cavity beneath the poppit. Any suggestions on how to retrieve it without taking apart the whole back side of the engine? WIll this cause problems if left. I did start the engine and run it. It did produce about 12 PSI water pressure on plane. Before the replacement I did not get more than 5 PSI, and had low RPM temp alarm. Now, no alarm. Seems to have fixed my problem, but did I create another?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Poppot gromet

dunno now.
but if you dont rwetrieve it it will cause an issue.
had you not run the engine retrevail would have been simple.
now I have no clue where in the ex cover that grommet is.
remove the poppit and the new grommet.
use a piece of coat hanger wire with a J bent on the end, tilt motor up a bit, look carefully in the pocket on the lower stbd side of the cavity, thats usually where it drops but I havent seen anyone run it after dropping it.
I would have choice words however I am in a good mood :).
if its not in that pocket fish along the lower port side, there is a hump in the middle of the cavity so its tricky but doable.

jfbetz

Seaman Apprentice

Rod,
Simple? Tried all of that before I ran the boat-really-coat hanger and all. No can do. I'll probably end up dropping the lower unit and blowing air or water up from below. I didn't see any "careful" way to look in that small hole.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I dont think the passaqges are large enough to allow the grommet to exit the water cover area. why take off the lower? that simply does not make sense.
had you not run it its a simple procedure to retrive the grommet, now it may require removal of the cover.
I get to retrieve several every year.
I havent pushed one in in some years, however it does happen.
but like a broken pencil zinc in the block, if not retrieved it will create an issue one day.

jfbetz

Seaman Apprentice

I was going to drop the lower unit so I could tilt the motor up and shoot compressed air or waterup from the bottom in hopes of pushing the gromet towards the hole it fell from. I tilted the motor up as you suggested (keep in mind I'm in the water) and worked a coat hanger around for an hour and got nothing. But if you say by starting the motor I have ended any reasonable chance of retrieval through the means you suggest, or by dropping the lower and using high pressure (water or air) from below to push it towards the hole, then I may not bother. If the simple procedure was to tilt the motor and use the coat hanger, it did not work for me. If I misunderstood the simple procedure, then I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'll call in the reinforcements and let my local Pro have at it. Thanks for your input.