Popping breakers all of a sudden..

dmunneke

Recruit
1985 Carver 3697. My AC service ( 2x30amp) is connected to breaker box with two primary 30amp breakers.. Each with a few sub-breakers for various things..

Main breaker number 1 is my problem. It controls outlets, water heater and oven.

Sitting sofa cooking a jimmy dean breakfast bowl and the main breaker pops. Okay maybe too much load at once..
I turn off micro and unplug tv.. turn all breakers to off.

I turn on the main breaker.. Volt meter shows 110 with zero amps draw.
I turn on any single sub-breaker and the main breaker pops right away.
I have tried them all and have turned off/unplugged everything except battery charger.

Pops every time.. This has never been an iussue at all..

Ideas ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Finally - Welcome aboard. :smile:

Unplug the battery charger too, it may be drawing more current than it should.

After 34 years of bouncing around in a boat and being on the verge of being overloaded by startup surge, breakers weaken and can pop on their own without warning or even a heavy draw.

The breaker might be saying no more! I would replace the breaker because there really isn't a way to test it without some special gear.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

you have something that has failed and shorted out.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Breakers begin to de-rate every time they trip and just over time. What was once a 30 amp breaker may now be a 20 amp breaker. A plug-in circuit tester (one with a few led lights) can help diagnose AC circuits. You may have hot or ground wire that has come undone and is shorting. With no loads on the circuit and it still blows the breaker it is a circuit problem.