POPPET VALVE QUESTION

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should I be able to blow through the poppet valve hose with the engine off?<br /><br />(Hose attached to the poppet valve still mounted on the engine.)<br /><br />Mercury 200hp V6 1994 carb <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />RFish >()> :)

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: POPPET VALVE QUESTION

RobaloFish, no. You should not be able to blow through the poppet valve. It only opens when the water pressure inside the motor block is high enough to overcome the pressure of the poppet spring. If you can blow through it, and the hose is not leaky, then either the diaphragm is damaged or the valve is stuck open and it would need to be replaced.<br /><br />-dd-

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just checking, so I should NOT be able to blow any air into the hose?<br /><br />Any one know the best way to reseat the washer/seal inside the exhaust housing that the poppet goes against to seal? It looks like it has been locked in with a couple of punch hits.<br /><br />Thanks RFish >()> ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> what hose are you blowing through? there is no way to blow through the poppet. if you suspect the diaphram buy the 2 gaskets and a diaphram and install a new one.inspect the rubber valve seat while its apart, they dont go bad often but they do sometimes.<br /> good luck and keep posting

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To be exact -- I’m blowing through the hose, which connects to the outside of the poppet valve cover. I can blow into this hose (by mouth) and it is very easy. (Don’t even go there!!!!)<br /><br />I have purchased everything except the metal cover plates and replaced all gaskets only item that was not changed was the washer grommet that is tagged inside the exhaust housing.<br /><br />If i should not be able to blow into this line then this may be the key to my intermittent idle running warm problem. Not overheating just running warmer than normal.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />RFish >()> :)

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by RobaloFish:<br />To be exact -- I’m blowing through the hose, which connects to the outside of the poppet valve cover. I can blow into this hose (by mouth) and it is very easy. (Don’t even go there!!!!)<br /><snip><br />If i should not be able to blow into this line then this may be the key to my intermittent idle running warm problem. Not overheating just running warmer than normal.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />RFish >()> :)
OK RFish I won't go there! :D <br /><br />As far as the warm idle thing goes, remember tha the t-stats control water flow at idle and the poppet controls water flow above idle (usually comes off seat around 9-11psi). How intermittant is the warm idle condition? Is there any specific running conditions that the situation occurs? Usually if the poppet is leaking, the engine will be running cold because the water doesn't stay in the block long enough to build heat. I would be more suspect of the thermostats than the poppet valve at this point.<br /><br />Good luck!

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stats are definitely good both have been changed; I was under the impression that if the poppet valve is sticking open this could effect the cooling at lower speeds due to the water being dumped too quickly out the poppet valve vs. through the thermostats. <br /><br />The water pressure also seems to be low at idle.<br /><br />The only other thing I can think of is to pinch off the hose or plug it and try running at idle to test – no high-speed runs.<br /><br />Thanks -<br /><br />RFish >()> ;)

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

RFish, I am with you on this as you have the same symptoms that mine had, ie high temps at idle. This was traced to poppet valve failure (intermittent) compounded by my XL engine. The water pump couldn't keep enough head of water in the engine to maintain cooling. Especially as the alarms are at the top of the block. They actually measure the metal temperature not the water as I understand it. Replacing the poppet gave me a much cleaner tell tale and the temps stabilized about 140/150 at idle.<br />I think you are on the right track for what its worth.

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by RobaloFish:<br />Stats are definitely good both have been changed; I was under the impression that if the poppet valve is sticking open this could effect the cooling at lower speeds due to the water being dumped too quickly out the poppet valve vs. through the thermostats. <br /><br />The water pressure also seems to be low at idle.<br /><br />The only other thing I can think of is to pinch off the hose or plug it and try running at idle to test – no high-speed runs.<br /><br />Thanks -<br /><br />RFish >()> ;)
OK I'll work with you on the poppet valve then. Pinching lines won't help you much, IF the poppet is sticking/not sealing then you can close it manually by drilling a hole in the cover at the rise in the center of the large diameter and manually closing the valve with a screwdriver. You will need to replace the cover ( I keep a spare one with the hole in my toolbox). The part number is 68729 1 (about $20.00). If that works, then you need to inspect the valve seat and plunger. It is possible that the seat is leaking around the outside of the seat. Check that out and let us know what you find out!<br /><br />Good luck!

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the only water the poppet dumps, the water from the top of the block in the center? If so, if I block or pinch off the hose won't I be doing the same as a correctly working poppet valve at low speed. Not questioning your answer just trying to learn how it should work.<br /><br />Thank You<br /><br />RFish >()> ;)

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by RobaloFish:<br />Is the only water the poppet dumps, the water from the top of the block in the center? If so, if I block or pinch off the hose won't I be doing the same as a correctly working poppet valve at low speed. Not questioning your answer just trying to learn how it should work.<br /><br />Thank You<br /><br />RFish >()> ;)
OK I will try to explain. At idle, the thermostats control the water flow. When the engine is at low speed, the water pressure is relatively low (3-5psi) and the water will stay in the block and allow the engine to warm up. When the t-stats open, they allow water to flow through the hoses you are talking about, out of the engine. <br /><br />Above idle, the water pressure increases and the poppet valve control the water flow. When the water pressure reaches about 9-11 psi the valve opens and allow water to flow directly in the the exhaust flow through the adaptor plate and into the driveshaft housing (mid-section). So pinching the lines at the top of the engine will not help to determine if there is a leak at the poppet. <br /><br />I hope I was able to explain it. If it isn't clear, ask and I'll do my best to clear it up again!<br /><br />Good luck!

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on my engine....<br />a crude diagram follows 2 paths for the water.<br /><br />1) :) <br />tstat----------tstat<br />|<br />|<br />|........tell-tale<br />|<br />|<br />|adapter plate<br /><br />2) :( <br />output hose top of block<br />|<br />|<br />|.pressure takoff for pressure guage<br />|<br />|<br />|.poppet valve inlet<br /><br />With the 2 seperate paths I belive if I shut off the hose there is no way that the water can exit the poppet.<br /><br />??<br /><br />RFish >()> ;)

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class

1988 150 blk max<br /> I have the same problem with my motor. Weak tell-tale, high temps at idle. I run in salt water. Could the poppet be cleaned or should it be replaced? Does a replacement kit have all the parts I need? Is it expensive ? I know heat is one of the worse things for a motor so I don't want to play around.<br /> Thanks, Dead Eye

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess before we move on here I should ask, do you have a service manual for this engine?<br /><br />In answer to your crude drawing. No that is not correct. As I said in my earlier post - When the water pressure reaches about 9-11 psi the valve opens and allow water to flow directly in the the exhaust flow through the adaptor plate and into the driveshaft housing (mid-section).<br /><br />The poppet valve is located in the adaptor plate, not the powerhead. Just trust me, buy a cover, drill a hole in the old one and apply pressure with a screwdriver while the engine is running on a hose and check the temp, OK?<br /><br />Good luck!

robalofish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have a manual, Mercury's.<br /><br />The engine again is a 1994 200HP 2.5L V6 carbed.<br />Again to clarify only part not changed in the poppet is the carrier P# 65848.<br /><br />This is not a guess on the hookup, this is how the system is hooked up. <br /><br />Starboard thermostat hose goes to port thermostat tees to telltale and attaches to hose fitting on the adaptor plate at the rear.<br /><br />Hose from the top center of the block goes down between the heads tees-off to pressure sender capillary hose and then goes down to the poppet valve housing below the 2 switch boxes.<br /><br />I will try to get the plate tomorrow.<br /><br />Thanks

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if the moderators will allow this, but I have a friend in your area that owns a dealership, Scott a call at Preferred Marine. He's a good guy and he is very knowledgeble when it comes to these engines. He's probably got a used cover laying around you could pick up for next to nothing. Not only that, he might be able to point out how the system works in person better than I can describe it here.<br /><br />Good luck!

dogsdad

Lieutenant

R-fish, maybe I'm out of line, here---don't mean to be---but I'm not sure if you caught what dilligaf was saying. Water flows from inside the block, through the poppet, and UP the hose that goes to the top of the motor, where it dumps into the exhaust. <br /><br />The hose is not the inlet TO the poppet, it is the outlet FROM the poppet. The poppet releases water from inside the motor block when the water pump is providing more cooling water than can flow through the thermostats, which is at higher rpms, of course.<br /><br />If you can detatch that hose and blow through the poppet, it is either stuck open or has a damaged diaphragm. I've only worked on one boat motor, my 135, but I don't recall seeing anything staked in, as far as the poppet goes. Maybe yours is different. But, when you take the plate off, the poppet assembly should come right out of the side of the block. I get the impression yours is being stubborn about coming out. Maybe just needs a little "persuasion"??<br /><br />Hope that helps.<br /><br />-dd-