Popped fuse on Battery

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have two 12 volt batteries for the accesories, and they are brand new marine deals. I have a 30 amp fuse on the power lead on each one. When I plug the trolling motor in, it pops one fuse. Is it a bad trolling motor, the plug, or the batteries just hooked up backwards. I marked them, and from what I remember (hmm) they are hooked up right. All the other accesories I have work, ie lights, trim, and whatnot. It's an 18' bass boat, 175 johnson o/b.

ndemge

Commander
Re: Popped fuse on Battery

How you used this TM on a 30 amp fuse before? It's possible it draws more than that and the fuse is just doing it's job....

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced two old rusted out fuse blocks on it that were 30 amps, and installed inline fuses in. I've used the motor before, and took the old batteries out to charge em, they were crap, and got new ones. I'm thinking I may have swapped the wires on accident.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check on your amp rating like Noel said 30 amps seems a bit low.<br /><br />lee

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am confused about how you have two fuses on the batteries. How do you have them wired? There should only be one fuse if you are using them as one bank.<br /><br />Amir

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I have a power going to each battery. I put new connections on, and there was this old style fuse block on each power wire (2), and I put a waterproof fuse block in. I have two seperate sets going to the batts. One power and one ground for each, then it goes underneath. This config works becasue I have used it before on old batteries that couldnt hold a good charge. I'm not good with wiring, and when you throw another battery in, I get real confused. I assume its a 24 volt system due to 2 batteries. Is this true, or is it a 12 volt?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

It depend on how the batteries are connected together. Parallel will give you 12V and series will give you 24 V. You need to determine exactly what trolling motor you have and its power requirements.

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

I have 12/24 system on my rig and since is came sans batteries I was left to install them myself. Got it wrong and popped the breakers just by simply plugging in the TM. And there are two of those, 45 A each. I wonder if breakers are more forgiving of initial current draw than a coventional fuse. Additionally, while a heavy duty CB might cost more, it is easily reset and sure does beat foolin' around with some fuse thingie any time!<br /><br />/mike

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I swapped the power leads and low and behold the positive wires were crossed. I still couldn't get the motor to work, but I know its not the wires. I was going to test the batteries, but my voltmeter had a bad battery as well, so I'm not havin any luck. But now it can be only 3 things. Batts, motor, or plug connection up front.