Poor/no idle

elhombre

Seaman
J225vxsif- '01 Johnson 225 HP carbureted. Haven't put much time on it this season and I think it may be the problem... A couple weeks ago we idled down the river for a couple miles, realized some weather was closing in and ran hard back to the dock. After throttling back to idle she "burbled" and quit. We got a line on a pilling an polled into the slip, but it wouldn't restart. Days later, I changed the water separator and got it started but It still wouldn't idle. I didn't find any significant amount of water in the separator either, so I changed the in-line fuel filter on the power head. I also had some primer bulb issues, ie. sucking air at/around the separator/filter head. At this point I replaced the filter head, primer bulb, and associated fuel lines and clamps from the filter to the vro pump. Anyway, it still won't idle. Now I'm thinking it's still a fuel issue, maybe not running often enough and the stuf in the tank (@20gal) is no longer viable, you know- ethanol..hmm. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated- Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Poor/no idle

Pump some fuel into a glass jar, leave it sit and see if you have any water in it. If no water, check the compression and spark. Spark should jump a 7/16 " open air gap. If it passes those tests it may be carb time.