poor fuel pressure on mpi 502. advise?

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my 502 dies out at 4000rpm. put a pressure guage on the schrader valve and get 32psi at idle abd it drops to 30 psi with any throttle.i cant get the fuel pump to cycle all the time with the turn of the key, even if i shut off the batteries for 10 or so seconds. mercruiser says i need to produce 37psi at idle and matain it. changed the fuel filter and values stayed the same. how hard is to change the pump in the cool fuel housing. i cant seem to get the plastic cover off! BTW motor is a 1999 MPI 502. thanks...james

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: poor fuel pressure on mpi 502. advise?

you need to check the fuel pressure regulator. when you have the pressure checker hooked up block of the return line by pinching it closed and see it the pressure goes up. I have seen this a few times. be sure to get the merc replacement part, the after would ones do not function properly. bob<br />oh ya that fuel pump is about 400.00 if I rember right.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hammer, if I remember correctly there was a service buletin about this problem (1999). Merc had a bad batch of fuel pumps. Unfortunately, time has run out for it to be covered under warranty. The cost of the pump is around $200.00 .<br />It could also be the regulator as A.D. said.

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where is the regularor? do i disconnect the hose before pinching it? i assume if the presure goes up the regularor needs to be replaced...thanks...james

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please post your engine serial number so we can make sure we have the right advice. On the older (97, 98) the pressure regulator was at the rear of the fuel rail. On the 99 it should be in the cool fuel assy. just above the actual pump. Assuming that yours is just above the fuel pump, the overflow from the regulator goes out one of the two hoses on the front of the cool fuel unit and goes to the water/fuel seperator. You could try locating that hose and pinching it with a pair of vice grips (wrap a rag around the hose first so you don't damage it). If the pressure does not go up, it is the pump itself.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thought I should clarify something. On the front of the cool fuel unit there are two smaller hoses (besides the large water hose) one feeds fuel TO the pump, the other is the return FROM the pressure regulator. You will have to get the cover off of the cool fuel unit to identify which is the return.

hammer250v8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

engine serial number is 0L053804. could i locate the return line to the fuel/water seperator and pinch it there? if it is the regulator, how hard is it to replace?

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your engine is covered in merc service manual #23, I highly suggest you get this manual from your merc dealer. From what I can tell, your regulater is in the cool fuel unit. Some of the early versions of this engine still had a regulator on the fuel rail on top of the engine, but it is not connected and serves no function.<br />I have to repeat my original post that fuel pump problems were common.....don't rush into thinking it's the regulator. Something in your original post also has me skeptical that it is the regulator (" I can't get the pump to cycle with the turn of the key"). That engine has the MEFI3 ECM, it sends a signal to the pump relay everytime the key is turned on (regarless of pressure). If you are not getting a running pump when you turn on the key....it could be the pump relay, the wiring, the pump...or lastly the ECM(possible, but highly unlikely). If you still want to rule out the pressure regulator, remove the cover from the cool fuel unit (it's plastic and has tabs that snap it in place). locate the braided hose that comes off the front of the regulator (top component in the unit, the fuel pump and fuel supply line are in the bottom). Pinch off that top hose, if the pressure goes up....it is most likely the regulator, if no real change in pressure....time to start troubleshooting. You had asked if you could pinch off the return line at the water seperator....yes, if you can tell which one it is (there should be 3). If you can locate the one from the fuel tank, the return line should be directly opposite of it and the fuel supply to the pump next to the return line. Keep us posted on your progress.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

waterone has got it right. when you pinch that hose do not let the fuel pressure go over the spec. when that line get pinched pressure will build fast, a few psi over should be no biggie. I rember the manual calling out a max spec just do not remember it. bob

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

well what was the problem cant be leaving us hanging out like this. bob