Pontoon regrets?

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We currently have an old 16ft deck boat and are looking to replace it with something newer, nicer, and larger. We are considering deckboats, open bows, and pontoons. We mainly like to cruise or just float, but also like to do a little bit of tubing and skiing.

Anyone have any regrets going to a pontoon? Any pleasant surprises?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pontoon regrets?

I've owned four of them with no regrets at all. The only surprise will be you wondering why you didn't buy a pontoon long ago.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yep. Barge sounds perfect for your boating style.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

The only regret I ever hear is, "I wish I had gotten a bigger one."
It's like going out on the water in your living room. If you want to ski or tube be sure and get one with enough power.

natedog337

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only regret is from other people who see me pulled up on a sandbar with my toon and their swimming/walking in from
100 feet out....

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I regret having waited so long getting one. :(

Deck boat, man, we wanted one of those years ago. Had the money but not the time, so we put it off.

I'd never get an open bow, it doesn't fit into our aquatic lifestyle. Either a pontoon or deck boat.

Good luck!

Redneck_Randy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our first boat was a 18 foot Bass Buggy pontoon. Owned it for 11 years, sold it and bought a 21 foot Bryant bow rider. BIG mistake Wasn't for the wife and I. Sold it and bought another pontoon. I will never own anything but pontoons from now on.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only regret is from other people who see me pulled up on a sandbar with my toon and their swimming/walking in from
100 feet out....

That reminds me of a few more questions...last weekend I beached the boat and had a terrible time getting it off...big time drought here in Houston. Any problems beaching a pontoon? From what I see they beach all the time but I have never paid attention to how easy they get off the sand.

Also, how is towing and launching and retrieving compared to the same size typical boat?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Pontoon boats are easy to beach and un-beach (not sure if that's a word:confused:). I usually get a decent but safe head of steam (doesn't take a lot) until I'm close then kill the motor and trim it up to glide in. When we're ready to move I'll shove her out from the bow then jump in when she's floating and trim the motor back into the water. Launching and loading takes a bit of practice, but it's no biggie. I can give you my technique if you'd like, but it's not the only way. Towing is also not a big deal, but you don't want to tow one too fast because there's so much wind resistance. If you already have boating experience you'll have no trouble handling a toon on or off the water.:cool:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

We love our 24' floating back yard. My trailer came the inside guides and they didn't seem to work well loading in a crosswind so I built and installed some tall outside guide posts. They were awfully tricky to use in a crosswind. It finally dawned on me to remove the outside guides,had the admiral back the trl in so the inside guides were half submerged. With the crosswind I came in to the tlr at an angle, got the front of the tubes over the inside guides, then turned the motor to get straight w/ the tlr and had the admiral back the tlr on down the ramp while I kept the motor idling in forward gear until the bow touched the winch stand. Easiest load I've done since we bought it!! Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out the easy way to do something!!
Mike

cc350

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No regrets... Only pleasure! I also have a 1995 caravelle runabout and never take it out but once a year, only 305 hrs since new. But this is my second pontoon and we wear them out....

heeper

Recruit

I think they catch a lot of wind when towing. It pulls lighted then my speed boat at low speeds but cruising down the freeway @ 70mph, my truck down shifts way more than I'd like.

winterfunguy

Seaman

We just bought our first toon this spring after having deep v runabouts before, the 28' pontoon sure has a lot of space and is the most comfortable boat we have owned to date. We can now entertain up to 20 people on the water and be comfortable doing it. We haven't tried watersports yet but I think the large turning radius of our toon may be a hinderance for retreiving downed tubers. I do miss the ability to go out in Lake Michigan and tour from port to port because the pontoon will ocassionally take large "rogue" waves over the bow. I also miss the speed of the runabout and the wind protection you get from a boat vs a toon. All in all I would choose the pontoon over a runabout or deck boat for the fact that they are THE BEST family boat and we can beach it and grill on it. I do not have any regrets...but there are strengths and limitations to both vessels.