Pontoon Outboard Recommendations

jmoser

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like I will be in the market for a new pontoon boat next spring. Best deals around me seem to be packaged with Mercury outboards, does anyone have experience with the newer Merc 4 strokes in the 40-60 hp range? Mostly we will be just cruising but I would like to pull the kids in a tube as well.<br /><br />I have also seen an E-Tec 40[?] on my lake, did not know they made them that small but maybe I would be better off weight wise with the 'Rude. <br /><br />It all comes down to $$$ - I'll be crawling the boat shows next Feb-Mar. Trading up from a 1988 28 Johnson, so I can't lose either way [although that darn thing just keeps on running, starts right up every time!] Too Loud and smokey though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pontoon Outboard Recommendations

You'll need to decide between the smoothness of the four cylinder Merc four-stroke and the slight roughness but quiet two cylinder Evinrude E-tec. E-Tecs are also available in 50 and 60 HP twins, 75 and 90 HP three cylinder as well as larger models. Little or no maintenance on the E-Tecs whereas you have a very specific breaking period and process on the Merc, plus the burden of oil and filter changes and valve adjustments.

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've heard plenty of good on the Etec, and the mercs are good motors.<br /><br />I have a 20 ft toon. 50 hp is just about right for me. It'll run about 18-20mph. The tubing is good for my kids now, but I think they'll get bored in a few years but as long as my Johnson is running good they'll have to live with it because I fish with the boat a whole lot and the motor suits me.<br /><br />However, if your whole deal is going to be cruising and pulling water toys, get the biggest motor you can afford. Some folks will say that what you'll gain is marginal but it aint. I drove my same boat with a 90 on it and there is a whole lot of difference and these are older boats. Modern toons are being designed to make more speed.<br /><br />All that to say that 40-60hp may not be enough to do what you want to do.

D

DJ

No matter what you buy, make sure it is propped right. You DO NOT want a runabout prop on a pontoon.<br /><br />The prop pitch will be quite low, probably in the 10-11" range.<br /><br />The next engine for my toon will be an E-tec. It will replace a great, but thirsty, Merc. 75 2-stroke. I'm limited to 75 HP, and weight is an issue.