Pontoon or deck boat for bay use?

gbenmc

Recruit
Hi--I am new to boating and am looking to buy a boat that will be used primarily by my immediate family of 6 (2 adults, 4 small children). We would like to take friends, in-laws, etc., out on occasion. The pontoon boats we've looked at have the best seating arrangement and the prices are lower than deck boats, but I'm worried about handling and I'm not sure what types of waves to expect on the Bay. We will be taking the boat out on the Northern Chesapeake Bay (near North East and Havre de Grace, MD if you know the area). We will typically not be doing much long-distance boating but I would like to leave the option open.<br /><br />Any suggestions or advice on which type of boat might be the better choice?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Ben

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pontoon or deck boat for bay use?

Since the conditions on a big bay system can vary a lot I think most of your answers are going to begin with "depends ...".<br /><br />Depends on the 'toon. The new tri-toon types are much more capable than the old 2-log 'toons.<br /><br />Depends on the deckboat. The bigger (and more expensive) models by Azure, Monterey, Sea Ray, etc will handle the rough stuff better than a traditional deckboat.<br /><br />Here is another thread to expand on the confusion - Pontoon boats? <br /><br />Kelly Cook

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I personally wouldn't take a toon out on open water. We have 89,000 acre lakes here in Texas which get plenty rough. I have read reports (horror stories) about people being caught out in storms on these lakes.<br /><br />When you look at the structure of the boat and consider that water weighs in at 7ish #/gallon, a 3' wave contains a lot of pounds and with the wind driving it, a lot of energy....energy, that when it smashes into your boat can come over the deck, knock your deck loose, break your toons off your deck and so on.<br /><br />On deckboats, I would venture out in one but only if it had a good vee'd hull to allow for slicing through the waves. Otherwise you are in for a pounding flat bottom on big waves. "Deckboat" brand (at least the older boat....haven't seen their sales catalog lately) is not one of the ones I would consider although they sold a bunch of them around here.<br /><br />My 2c<br /><br />Mark

gbenmc

Recruit

Thank you for all of the advice and help. It is much appreciated. I think after reading the threads that "neither" is the best option for open water, but our part of the Chesapeake isn't as large as the southern part. It's probably more similar to a large river since there is visible land on most sides and many, many, many tributaries... I can see that a pontoon or deck boat may limit us if we wanted to go any long distance on the Bay, but since our kids are small we probably won't be doing that for a while! <br /><br />Thanks again!!<br />Ben

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

One advantage the deckboats have is a full width windshield. Which is mighty nice on cool morning runs. Here is another thread on deckboats - Godfrey Hurricane vs Chaparral <br /><br />Kelly

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have been boating in San Francisco Bay for my entire life and do not belive I have ever see a poontoon boat out on the bay. Now up in the delta there are lots of them.<br /><br />I would suggest you go down to the area your talking about and visit the boat launches. See if you see any Poontoon boats come in. If you do then go aid them in landing and loading there boat. Ask them what there experience has been. Most boat owners love to talk about their boat and what it will do and not do. If you have a Coast Guard station then visit them on the open house days and ask their opinion. At least all the Coast Guards stations out here have on there signs which days and times they welcome visitors. <br />You can also give them a call.<br /><br />For me Open water means a V hull. The toons that have made the news here were mostly in trouble. Several have hit bridges because they did not have enough power to overcome a strong current or wind.