Pontoon opinions and help

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice
I am thinking about getting a small Pontoon boat for fishing in a small reservoir close to home and need some info on a Starcraft Classic 140 pontoon boat that seems to fit my needs. The lake allows only electric motors and I need something one older guy can trailer and launch by myself.
The Classic 140 seems to be in line but I can't find much info on this model and size. Most seem to be powered by up to a 25 HP gas motor but I will need either one or two electric motors instead. I have no idea how these small pontoons will be with only electric motors. The deck and lay out seem to be perfect for me and the dog to slow troll on my lake and I would love to hear from anyone with experience on this model and size.

rogerwa

Commander
Re: Pontoon opinions and help

I don't have experience with this size, but I have done a fair amount to launch and retrieve with much bigger ones. One this size should be no harder than a fishing boat, maybe easier. It wold also be very responsive to a trolling motor, your only concern being having enough thrust to overcome wind. If the toons don't have a keel, they can get pushed sideways by the wind. Applied thrust will overcome this. I have also attached a link to a site that seems to specialize in this size boat..

http://www.logoboat.com/LOGO/14FT/HOME PAGE OF LOGOBOATS 6 FOOT WIDE BY 14 FOOT LONG PONTOONS.htm

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pontoon opinions and help

Thanks for the info. I have a line on a nice used Starcraft 140 fish which is why I am asking about this specific model.

I have owned many nice boats but have never been on any Pontoon boat yet and don't honestly know a thing about how they ride or handle. Trying to find info on this exact model is like pulling teeth and I will have to take a 3 hour drive one way to see the available boat.

I am hoping to find someone here who either has or has been on one.