Pontoon in the snow

DeepCMark58A

Commander
What a treat had an early snowfall with a couple follow up blasts. If you think that maneuvering a pontoon trailer in 8" of snow would suck you would be right. We did get the pontoon up the snow covered hill eventually. No equipment was harmed so that was a bonus.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have pulled my boat out in December, where I had to break 1/8 ice on the creek, with the hull.

It cleans the bottom and removes that nasty antifouling paint build up.

ahicks

Captain
Now you know why my boat, lift, and dock all come out the week after Memorial Day!

ahicks

Captain
Clearly I need to get a better handle on my seasons! I'm sure most of you figured out I ws talking Labor Day in the earlier note. For those that didn't figure that out, sorry for any confusion....

roffey

Commander
I am closing up my place this weekend... The boat was a few weeks back and has been out of the water for longer. Our lake will drop the water level by 6 feet at the end of the summer.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well got the dock out, I told myself that this will be the hardest pull since I had no idea what the dock was sitting on. The 14' end poles would have been nice to know that they had auger ends instead of feet, there were wheels as well that we did not know about. The air bag really helped well worth the $.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Clearly I need to get a better handle on my seasons! I'm sure most of you figured out I ws talking Labor Day in the earlier note. For those that didn't figure that out, sorry for any confusion....
we had to bust your chops.....

ahicks

Captain
Yup, figured as much. We have a pretty good bunch here. Still, I don't mind admitting it when I screw up.....

Six or seven years ago, I got jazzed to head to our water-access property when a blizzard was forecast. It snowed 26 inches that night. I boated the 5 miles there in white-out conditions and was able to immediately use my snowmobile. Power was out for days, which just enhanced my experience. Unfortunately a cold front followed (this was early November) so the lake froze in single digit temps. I was smart and parked my boat facing out, and was able to break ice. My neighbor's boat was frozen in and his outboard froze as well. I used my ice chopper to free his boat and tow him to the main land. The next night was going to be even colder, so I left at dusk.

My truck was able to move through the unplowed boat landing, boat I learned that backing up an empty trailer through 26" of snow doesn't work. Luckily a guy at the bar saw me and brought his plow over. That got me down the landing. I had to jump on my trailer to get it to break through the ice. My truck struggled but eventually pulled the boat up the icy/snowy ramp.

Fun trip but I learned the perils of trailering boats in the snow. Somehow my snowmobile trailer seems to be better suited for it!