Pontoon Carpet - 20 oz vs. 28 oz. ???

washburn2010

Cadet
Found a couple of websites offering some good prices on carpet. One even offer free shipping. Now I'm down to 20 oz vs. 28 oz. It's not about cost, as there's not much difference (maybe $100). My concern, would the 28 oz be TOO soft / plush. I want some good carpet on there, but not too thick. I want to feel like I'm on a deck, and not walking across the living room. I'm also concerned with easy cleaning. I have three young kids, and you can imagine the drinks and snacks that will get dropped on it. I was thinking the thicker carpet would hold more of the snacks and juice, where the thinner carpet may be easier to clean with a hose.

I've contacted a couple of sites, and asked for a couple of samples, but have yet to receive them. Just wondering what you guys go with?

washburn2010

Cadet
Re: Pontoon Carpet - 20 oz vs. 28 oz. ???

Well, didn't get any responses, so decided to bite the bullet. After checking some of the local stores, I?ve decided to order the carpet online. I ended up ordering Tahoe Pontoon Boat Carpet, 28 ounce in platinum grey.
It actually worked out cheaper than purchasing locally. The boat carpet comes in a 25 foot by 8.5 foot roll. Just enough to do the entire boat. By ordering online, no sales tax, and orders over $100 ship free. They also had a 10 percent off sale until the end of the month. I'm thinking about ordering the seats from them too, before the sale ends. In all, I?m was able to get a single piece of marine carpet, 28 oz for just over $300, with free shipping. Best thing is it comes right to the house, and I don?t have to pick it up. I?ve prowled ebay looking for boat carpet, but the shipping charges were through the roof. For what I would have paid for the 20 ounce carpet with shipping, I was able to order from this company, and upgrade to the best boat carpet, for the same price!

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am looking to get some carpet for my restore when I get to that point. Where did you get yours at?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I think you did the right thing. If you're gonna have carpet, might as well have the thicker, more comfortable one. I don't think the difference in cleaning will be noticeable at all. I have 24oz carpet and it cleans up easily..

ncnjeremy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im actually looking for carpet for bass boat. But I may go a different direction then carpet.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I started to buy boat carpet with a giant internet seller. They even had biographies on the business' owners.

I was driving thru Dalton, GA the next week, and drove by their warehouse. It was a little concrete building with a few rolls of carpet thrown in the corner. It's an example how you've got to know who you're dealing with on the internet.

I went down the street to a carpet "middleman", who sells to my local carpet dealer. My suggestion is to check with your local carpet dealers to see who carries marine carpet. There's usually someone willing to sell it at a fair value. It's just not that hard to find marine carpet--and get exactly what you need. Avoid Home Depot/Lowes, as indoor/outdoor carpet just won't cut it for marine use.

washburn2010

Cadet

I called about a dozen places here in Austin, and none had what I was looking for, or they were way too pricey. A few said they could get it for me, but $$$$. I actually prefer to purchase from a "company" working out of the house. A lot of these guys are mfg. reps and they don't stock inventory. They are still the middle man, but they don't have the overhead of a brick and mortar shop with a lot of overhead.
I rely more on customer reviews.
I ordered mine from pontoonstuff.com and they were super. In fact, I hosed up my order, and called them two days later to change it. What I was really impressed about, somebody actually answered the phone on the third ring, and within two minutes, had it all straightened out. Good thing was I asked them to delay the shipping, because I would be out of town. They said no problem and asked what day I wanted it shipped on. I asked what the ETA was, and they said about one week. So I told them to ship it on the following Tuesday, expecting it on either Saturday or Monday. My wife called me two days later and said the carpet was there! They shipped it (ground) on Tuesday, and it arrived on Thursday. And that was their "free" shipping. Wife had to get a neighbor to help her get it in the garage.
I think that's the first time I've ever ordered something, especially of that size, the came before I actually wanted it. I was quite impressed though! And the carpet was better than what I expected.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Let me ease your worries a bit , I have 8 grand kids and the thickness wont really make all that much diffrence the thicker may hold a bit more water. but the decks will stand that fine, And as far as kids they will make a mess, just smile at them and run it through a pressure wash ever now n then. I dont own one so I use a car wash it works fine. I pull mine off the slip once a mounth or so. Some of my best memorys as a kid are on my grand dads boats. He kept a house boat, a cuddy cabin, and a ski boat, and when I turned 8 he got me a 11 foot tinny with a 2 hp motor to fetch grocerys from the marina for gran.