Pontoon Boats

joepatt02

Recruit
Hello Everyone,<br /><br /> I just bought my first boat. it's a 1996, 24 ft. Fisher Freedom 240 Pontoon Boat. i'm having a heck of a time trying to get the boat to plane. Also, i need to find a new fin for the left outside toon. any suggestions? also, it seems like the boat is trying entirely too hard to run<br /> "Eager Beats Pretty"

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Pontoon Boats

Hi Joe, welcome to iboats!!!<br /><br />Need more info.<br />What is spinning the prop? I/O, outboard?<br /><br />Aldo

Dunaruna

Admiral

Some toon boats are not meant to plane, I don't know if your boat fall into that category.<br /><br />2 things you will need to check, the performance of the outboard and the condition of the toons.<br /><br />The motor needs to be tuned and propped correctly, it's important that it reaches the specified WOT RPM's, tuning and the size of the prop will affect this. So, are you reaching the correct WOT RPM? Is the prop damaged? Does it need a tuneup?<br /><br />If the toons are dirty (marine growth, oxidition etc) it can affect speed quite a bit, also water in the toons will add a lot of weight which will also affect speed. <br /><br />Aldo

joepatt02

Recruit

Wot? Prop is fine, toons are in good shape.(drained regularly) i'm soon going to be getting the toons re-worked. <br /> "eager Beats Pretty"

Dunaruna

Admiral

Wide<br /> Open<br /> Throttle<br /><br />Also know as - pedal to the medal, flat out, ludicrous speed ;) <br /><br />Absolutely critical to know with an outboard.<br /><br />Fixing the tach is the first thing you need to do before proceeding with the diagnosis.<br /><br />Aldo

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen a lot of pontoons on the water; I have never seen one on a plane before. I saw one with a 200HP running WFO (wound flat out) or WOT and I wouldn’t say it was on a plane. My 2 cents, maybe I'm wrong.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by monoshock:<br /> I've seen a lot of pontoons on the water; I have never seen one on a plane before.
They most certainly do...........<br /><br /><br />
Planingtoon.jpg
<br /><br />Mostly it's the tri hulls that plane but some twins do also, especially ones built in the last 8 years or so.<br /><br />Aldo

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

It's the lifting strakes that make planing easy for these, both 2 tube and 3 tube.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like an inboard, with 2 people aboard, no kids, fishing equipment,coolers, dogs or stuff most people take on an outing and maybe it's just coming over the crest of a small wave.<br />The back of the tube is half way in the water. I need more convincing. <br /><br />My 2 cents.<br />Maybe I'm wrong.

Dunaruna

Admiral

What about the link that rabidfish posted?<br /><br />They do plane, honest, they do.<br /><br />Aldo