pontoon boat renovation

ryeellen

Recruit
I have an 18 foot Avalon pontoon built in 2006.
Brand new 70 hp yamaha motor.
Decking, pontoons and fence in good shape.

I want to hire someone to remove and replace seats, carpet, fence panels and bimini. Plan to order materials from pontoonstuff.com

My question is: how many hours will this job require? What is a reasonable hourly rate?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most shops charge about $120 per hour

You are looking at about 60 hours or more because to replace the carpet, everything comes off.

ryeellen

Recruit
Thanks for your reply, Scott. With your 60 hour estimate, are you including wiring the console, lights also? Or is that just tearing everything out and installing seats, fence panels, carpet/vinyl? Appreciate your input.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You will have to get quotes from a shop.

However know that these projects are usually done as diy

Bikerndiver

Seaman Apprentice
Where are you located? I found some reasonable people that re-do pontoons in my area. I ended up doing mine myself, but I still have my list of resources.

briangcc

Commander
There's a marina up on Rt12 where Rt6 comes in (just past sign for Black Lake / Hammond). Coming from A-bay heading North on 12 it will be on your left side. Blue metal pole barn, lots of boats surrounding it. Forget the name of the place off the top of my head. He/she might be interested.

Otherwise, maybe Schemerhorn's?

**I had work done by French Creek in Clayton, I was NOT impressed.

Lucky you...in prime boating area. Unlucky you...in tourist trap (read $$$) area so you'll be paying dearly to have someone do this.

aspeck

Staff member
It will be interesting to see the quotes, but after they come in you might want to look at purchasing a newer pontoon boat sans motor and just move you motor and controls to the newer boat and then sell the old boat for whatever $ you can get out of it.

briangcc

Commander
There's easily marinas every mile or so up in the area. Problem is going to be finding one that wants to take on a resto which is technically what this is.

Then time....they kinda march to their own drum up there. Affectionately known as "River Time" by locals. Having been through "River Time" myself, it'll be much quicker (and cheaper) to diy this project.