Pontiac Sunbird Progress

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Oops! Wrong forum, sorry.<br /><br />After a mechanical interuption (replacing head gasket) progess on the little bird has resumed. It has been fun, for an autobody novice, to get it to this point. All of the parts are original except the white junk yard fender($27.00) and the left front sealed beam. <br /><br />All of the difficult, rhino hide tough, horizontal surfaces have been ground down to primer or bare metal. You wouldn't think that, old hazed, cracked paint would be so tough to sand off. I also found that flat sheetmetal surfaces are really not flat and that random orbital sanders do a much quicker and more even job than plain orbital sanders.<br /><br />Next, comes the final sanding off of the, relatively intact, vertical paint surfaces. As this paint is smooth and not hazed/cracked down to the primer, it should go quicker and easier.<br /><br />Monday, I should receive my new HVLP spray gun and thanks to advice from WingerEd, I've procured the economical base coat/clear coat paint. If I am successful in applying the paint, it should look better than new. During my search for the paint I found out that the car was originally painted with a single stage metalic paint, not using a clear coat.<br /><br />I've also decided to paint the polyureathane front and rear bumper assemblies off of the car. They will be easier to sand, mask and spray, set up on supports. It will also make it easier to mask off the parts of the car that I want to keep overspray off of. (any comments here are welcome)<br /><br />
021038.jpg
<br /><br />
026025.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pontiac Sunbird Progress

To non-Boating Tech.