pontiac soltice

crab bait

Captain
anyone see one..?? <br /><br />that's one bad mamma-jamma..!!<br /> <br />it's about time.. while chrysler keep pumpin' out HOT products ,, GM was scared an didn't know what to do.. <br /><br />their great leadership an thought outside the box was the bring-back malibu.. <br /><br />"SEE ,,LOOKY HERE .!!! the malibu.. cool huh.?? see the name plate it says malibu..pretty neet an highly inentive..huh..?? <br /><br />needs a slicker name tho.. GM was great with names back in the day,,now they just total suck with it..<br /><br />but is one baddass vehicle..

eeboater

Commander
Re: pontiac soltice

Yep! I like it. Kind of Miata-ish in its looks. But all in all a very hot car! I can't wait to see it on the road. I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show...<br /><br />
5955.jpg
<br />
ab91.jpg
8a6b.jpg

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

You'll notice that you never see any photos of it with the top up. There is a very good reason for it. Top down and it's very nice looking though. GM should sell every one that they can build, especially priced right around $20k.<br /><br />Also check out the Saturn Sky, which would be built off of the same underpinnings.<br /><br />
1487374415216828.JPG

aspeck

Staff member

Got to drive one a couple weeks ago when a factory rep was driving one around - he had just come from Canada and stopped at our old dealership while I was there checking on things (talk about being at the right place at the right time). They are much nicer in person and on the road! Wife says I can't have one, though. At least not till I get her a Montana SV6 or an Envoy.

eeboater

Commander

Looks like the ECOTECH 2.4L DOHC 4 banger.<br /><br />177 HP<br />166 Ft/lb

LubeDude

Admiral

I like it and think it will sell.<br /><br />GM really screwed up in advertising the 2005 lineup, I see cars everyday that are GM cars that I had no Idea were even out there. there advertising is really poor this year. Some of the vehicles are nice looking also. Although they screwed up the front of the pickups. IMHO.<br /><br />I was dissapointed in the GTO. It had the potential to really be something, but it just doesnt have the looks. Not near aggresive enough. However the performance is there.<br /><br />Kinda like the Charger from Chrysler, although it has some appeal, the concept car was a dynomite car, unlike the actual Charger they built.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Actually,<br /><br />
<br />The Solstice is powered by a rear-wheel-drive 2.2-liter DOHC supercharged EcoTec four-cylinder engine generating up to 240 horsepower with premium fuel. The supercharger is an off-the-shelf unit supplied right out of the GM Service Parts performance catalog. The engine is mated to a Borg-Warner performance six-speed manual transmission, the same one used in the Corvette.<br />

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Same motor as the Chev Cobalt SS and they are pretty snappy. Good competition for the Toyota spydey and audi tt. Far cheaper and american made.... got my vote.

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All you need to know about the 2006 GM line-up is the 7.0L 500HP Z06 Corvette! Porsche and Ferrari have some competition at 1/4 the price.

eeboater

Commander

Hey Stiff, where did you get that data?<br /><br />I'm confruzzled! :confused: <br /><br />Just so everyone knows I'm not loopy, here is a screenshot of Pontiac's website:<br /><br /><br />
1440411-solstice.JPG
<br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> I was dissapointed in the GTO. It had the potential to really be something, but it just doesnt have the looks. Not near aggresive enough. However the performance is there.
I agree with you LD. Its weird, the GTO is a definite sleeper car, the problem with it is it looks too much like a Grand Prix! The other thing that sucked is that in ALL the automotive magazines they did side-by-side comparo's of the GTO and the new Mustang. Stats-wise the GTO wooped the Mustangs rear end.<br /><br />YET THEY STILL GAVE THE MUSTANG THE THUMBS UP OVER THE GTO!?!?!?!?!?! :confused: :confused: :mad: <br /><br />My brother and I had many discussions on this. As a result I do not trust the evaluations by the car mags anymore. I mean, in performance the GTO beat the Mustang pretty much every way possible. Yet the thumbs up to the Stang indicates that the mags are more interested in a pretty car than performance. They rest their judgements on the wrong 'P' word.<br /><br />Sean

LubeDude

Admiral

The top execs never ask me what to do, I dont understand it, I have all the answers. :confused: <br /><br />The new mustang has great looks, however, the little rear windows need an air intake cover on them of sorts, also, Ford went back to the solid axle this year. If the old one sucked, (which it did), re-design it so it works. Solid rear axles are old school anymore. Also, the bumpers needed some kind of chrome trim on them to give it a bit more nostalgia. As much as I like the looks of the new mustang, I would buy a used Corvette before I would spend that kind of money on a Mustang.