pongrass 21ft motor cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigby

Cadet
Hi guys we are just trying to find out some info on a boat that we are interested in picking up for restoration. She is an old girl we are guessing around '60's - 'late '70's have been searching for some history or even other boats about but are finding it really hard. If anyone has one or can point us in the direction of some info it would be greatly appreciated. Will try and post a photo of her, may not even be a pongrass. :D

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: pongrass 21ft motor cruiser

Can I suggest you post any info you have? Length, any hints on manufacturer, wood or fiberglass, type of engine, passenger rating, PICTURES, etc.<br /><br />Lots of people here are pretty smart (not me though). Give as much detail as possible and you might be suprised.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Rigby, Pongrass was an Aussie company, I doubt you will find any info from the U.S. If you post a pic I may be able to identify it - pongrass has a distinctive hull, they have a very good reputation for rough water handling but they are getting pretty old now - hard to find a good one.<br /><br />More importantly, whats happenning with the houseboat?<br /><br />Aldo

Rigby

Cadet

Dunaruna, nice to hear from you guys. How's things going your end hope everything is panning out well down there. Well the houseboat has been put on hold for a while. Shane got himself a hold of this Pongrass 21ft Fibreglass 2 piece hull. Its held together with brass screws approx 3/8in. The top mold comes down from halfway of the hull to the stern about 10in down the side.I will try to post a photo. It's keeping him super busy. We are searching the net for some maybe original photos or info on one of these ladies. Have located similar but not the same. It has no motor now but had a volvo inboard originally with a small Chrysler leg, sizes not known. We have been told that it is a Pongrass, measures 6.3metres length and beam of 1.7metres she's pretty skinny. Thanks guys for your replies. Look forward to hearing from you again. Janette

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hi Janette, The brass screw thing is very common ( actually self tappers and rivets are the norm these days). The side bumper (rub rail) covers them.<br /><br />I've just searched all the big sites with no luck, plenty of Pongrass 14 fters around but no 21fters.<br /><br />Sounds like you might have a project on your hands!<br /><br />My houseboats nearly finished, found a great contact for aluminium pontoons. Why did you put yours on hold?<br /><br />Aldo

Rigby

Cadet

Aldo, I'm afraid I have found the same thing lots of 14fts but nothing this size. Mystery to me. I will try to post a photo that might help. I'm so glad that your houseboat is nearly finished and will think of you relaxing on the water reaping the rewards. As for our plans shane's still super keen but we had some downtime end of last year Shane had a bout of carpel tunnel in the right arm and for sub-contract carpet layers it knocked us back quite a bit. So here we are still searching and gathering info and hopefully when we finish this project we can sell and maybe get that bit closer to the mark. Thanks for the help Aldo. Regards Janette. Photos on http://groups.msn.com/pongrass21ft :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Can't say for sure Janette, all the big pongrass boats I've seen don't look like that - but I'm no expert! The second windscreen looks like an add on (not original), what you think? Thats definetely a volvopenta transom plate - model 270 or 280.<br /><br />Aldo

Rigby

Cadet

Aldo, thanks for having a squiz, Shane was saying that the second screen has beams that run through the lower roof section and form part of the structure inside I think. I should have written that in past tenths cause it has none of that on it anymore. Shane is stripping he says about 20 layers of paint off of it so he can start again he has come across 2 old repairs in the hull and a bit of rot under the battery boxes area. She had a bit of water sitting in her for a while at the previous owners. But nothing Shane won't have a go at he is persistent. I will post a photo of what stage it is at now if you want to have a look your more than welcome. Would love to see some photos of your project too.<br /><br />Thanks Janette http://groups.msn.com/pongrass21ft

Status
Not open for further replies.