Pondering a repower for my '89 Holiday 180

and2ram

Seaman
Bought my Holiday this spring, it's been great so far but now I'm getting the itch to do something to it. I'm very interested in repowering with a brand new Etec or 4 stroke. Obviously it doesn't make financial sense to do this, but add the $3500 I paid for the boat to the $8500 in a new motor and I will still be in better shape than if I took that $12K and bought a newer used boat. Whatever I bought would still be 10-15 years old with someone elses hours, plus I just like the Holiday. Anyways, enough self-affirmation. I'm looking for your opinion on my repower options, which I will list below. I fish 80% of the time and cruise 20%, however I would expect this to be changing as our daughter and future offspring grow. Top speed is somewhat irrelevant but the nice thing about more available speed is that it gives the hull more options when the weather is rought. I currently get 42mph out of my 110 V-4 Johnson and it pops out of the hole nicely. So, here are my options, not in any particular order. They are all good motors of the newest tech and each has either EFI or DFI.

Etec 90
Etec 115
Mercury 90 opti
Mercury 115 opti
Mercury 90
Mercury 115
Honda BF90
Suzuki 90
Suzuki 115
Yamaha 90
Yamaha 115

I know a 90 with the right stainless prop will push this boat to 40, but damn, I bet that 115 Etec could nip the upper 40's, plus that means a leisurly 3000rpm-3500rpm cruise in the upper 20's low 30's.

What complicates this situation is that I might want to work a new kicker into the deal so price is somewhat of a factor.

Based on other Starcraft repowers I've seen I'd have to say Etec and Yamaha are the most common. At this point I won't list my order, instead I want to see what you guys think.

InMotion

Commander
Re: Pondering a repower for my '89 Holiday 180

My two cents.... if you are putting that kind of money out, may as well go with the 115 etec. If there is a huge difference in $$ between the 90 and the 115 then go with the one you can comfortably afford.

But as the old saying goes, you will use it regardless.

Looking forward to seeing what ever you decide!

J.

barato2

Commander

i dunno where you are, but what's availale on the used market may make your decision for you. i figure any of the ones you listed would work fine. Optimaxes (Optimaxi?) might be a bit cheaper than for example ETECs since they've been around longer. an Opti will be far louder than a 4 stroke; not sure how ETECs compare on the noise. if the noise level isn't an issue, i'd say go with a 2 stroke for reduced maintenance and weight, and better acceleration.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

A matching E-Tec kicker will seem huge (physical size).....

If you go 4-stroke of any brand, do you really need a kicker?

64osby

Admiral

....it's been great so far.... Obviously it doesn't make financial sense to do this... $8500 in a new motor ... I fish 80% of the time and cruise 20% ...daughter and future offspring grow. ...Top speed is somewhat irrelevant ... I currently get 42mph out of my 110 V-4 Johnson and it pops out of the hole nicely. .

I'll be the devils advocate. Sounds like your doing okay right now. Put the money in a boat only account and wait until you really need a ______________ My .02

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ooooo, I want a new Etec!:thumb:

barato2

Commander

i want a new ETEC too. and land in Northern Cal. and........and.....

Osby makes a good point. for 8500, you could rebuild your current motor (when it needs it), buy a travel trailer, buy a lot of gas for your thirsty OMC, AND have $ left over..........

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

i want a new ETEC too.

We're bottom feeders man. I suppose we will have to settle with living vicariously through fellas with actual cash eh buddy?

Oh well.:joyous:

and2ram

Seaman

A matching E-Tec kicker will seem huge (physical size).....

If you go 4-stroke of any brand, do you really need a kicker?

The problem with 4 strokes is that they tend to idle faster than 2 strokes. The Etec's can be programmed to idle down to around 550rpm, most 4 strokes are around 750, though with Merc's troll control you can get that down to 650. On top of that the DFI 2 strokes actually burn much less fuel at idle than the 4 strokes. Of course there's always disadvantages.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm tending to lean towards the Etec 90. I'll probably tickle 40mph and it will be the thriftiest motor. Now I need to get actual quotes, and figure out how much a transom rebuild will be (I have no time, otherwise I'd do it myself). I'm hoping to trade the 110 Johnson for the transom rebuild and would like to redesign the transom a little as well by bring the splashwell that's right next to the motor up so that I have more room to directly mount a kicker or electric transom mount.

barato2

Commander

they tend to idle faster than 2 strokes. The Etec's can be programmed to idle down to around 550rpm, most 4 strokes are around 750, though with Merc's troll control you can get that down to 650. On top of that the DFI 2 strokes actually burn much less fuel at idle than the 4 strokes.

interesting. i didn't know any of that. so what ARE the disadvantages of an EFI/DFI 2 stroke? i'm not seeing many, and i've always been partial to 4 sttrokes.

and2ram

Seaman

interesting. i didn't know any of that. so what ARE the disadvantages of an EFI/DFI 2 stroke? i'm not seeing many, and i've always been partial to 4 sttrokes.

The 4 strokes tend to be burn less fuel at planing speeds. Part of the reason 4 strokes burn more at idle is because they are all standard EFI as opposed to the more sophisticated DFI. Some of the EFI 4 strokes get pretty close to the DFI 2 strokes (Suzuki and Honda), but Merc and Yamaha aren't even close. Of course they also don't burn $40/gallon XD50. Thing is, for someone like me who doesn't put on a lot of engine hours I'm better off burning what little oil the DFI 2 stroke does burn, than changing it out at the end of the season after what, 40hrs?

barato2

Commander

makes sense. so it sounds like the fuel economy will still favor a 4 stroke once the outboard mfgrs adapt direct injection to their 4 sttroke motors. DI seems to be getting pretty ubiquitous in modern car engine designs...the mfgrs who don't have it are scrambling to add it cuz they're at such a fuel economy disadvantage compared to their competitors.