[Poll]I Am An Ethical Outdoors Person Because.....

The South

Cadet
The answers can be as varied as the types of people answering the question.<br />Have you ever given it much thought?<br />How would you answer it?<br /> :D

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: [Poll]I Am An Ethical Outdoors Person Because.....

Ethical outdoors person?<br />That would be some one who shows respect for the<br />environment. Eats what he shoots,or maybe shoots<br />what he eats. That sort of thing?<br />Who could know anyone like that. :p

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Because its the right thing to do.

How does that saying go?<br /><br />Take only pictures,leave only footprints.

The South

Cadet

Or maybe Doing the right thing when nobody else is around to see?<br /><br />Lundminnow....YES!<br />I do love the smell of a two stroke in the morning.<br />Especially on a couple foggy rivers that I frequent.....ahhh, yes.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

...I turned myself in when what I thought was a legal white bass turned out to be an undersized hybrid after I got it home.<br /><br /><br />well, not really, but I wouldn't have kept it if I had correctly identified it on the lake.<br /><br /> :)

Skinnywater

Commander

Because I've picked up several hundreds of spent shotgun shells left by duck hunters at that beautiful little pond west of Black Butte lake.<br /><br />Because I picked up several bags of empty beer cans, trash and garbage left by the deer hunters up at Whitlock camp in the Mendocino NF last weekend.<br /><br />Because I make sure nobody has to do the same for me.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

The question can be taken two ways: what is your motivation for being ethical, or what action do you take to be ethical.<br /><br />I'll answer from the action standpoint...I do my best to never leave a mess behind! I've cleaned up after a few others, too. Knotheads.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Carphunter

Commander

.............because I absolutely and completely respect the game that I hunt.<br /><br />.............because I help create and maintain habitat specifically for the wildlife.<br /><br />.............because I donate to many organizations that help benefit wildlife.<br /><br />.............because I practice, practice, and practice with the weapon that I will be using, so I can make a clean and humane kill.<br /><br />.............because I help do my part to insure the population is kept in check for future generations.<br /><br />.............because I follow ALL the laws set-up by the state, (even when I don't agree with them :rolleyes: )<br /><br />.............because I treat the land as if it were my own. In most cases, I leave the land in better shape then when I arrived.<br /><br />.............because I know my limitations with the weapons that I use, and I never try to go beyond these limitations.<br /><br />.............because I will fight for anyones right to hunt how they legally choose to hunt.<br /><br />and most of all,...........because I share my ethical way of hunting with anyone I hunt with, (especially my children).

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree totally, 100%, with Carphunter. You can't get any better than that! :cool: <br /><br />I remember having an 8 point buck stare me down at 60 yards, dead on, with my compound bow at full draw (oh, my arms were killing me too!). I waited and waited for him come in closer and turn broadside, so I could cleanly, humanely, take him. But, I got "busted" as the saying goes, and he took off in a flash! :( <br /><br />I always, always, clean up after myself, and others too. You have to respect what little natural woodlands and pristine wilderness we have left!<br /><br />Butch A.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Skinnywater:<br /> Because I've picked up several hundreds of spent shotgun shells left by duck hunters at that beautiful little pond west of Black Butte lake.<br /><br />Because I picked up several bags of empty beer cans, trash and garbage left by the deer hunters up at Whitlock camp in the Mendocino NF last weekend.<br /><br />Because I make sure nobody has to do the same for me.
Exactly. <br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> <br />.............because I practice, practice, and practice with the weapon that I will be using, so I can make a clean and humane kill.<br /><br />.............because I follow ALL the laws set-up by the state, (even when I don't agree with them :rolleyes: )<br /><br />.............because I treat the land as if it were my own. In most cases, I leave the land in better shape then when I arrived.<br /><br />and most of all,...........because I share my ethical way of hunting with anyone I hunt with, (especially my children).
Although the others are just as pertinent, Carpy, these are the ones that spoke loudest to me.<br /><br />These points are how to tell if a person is an ethical outdoorsman (outdoorsperson? I don't want to insult anyone here. :) )

The South

Cadet

Excellent answers!<br />Anyone else have a thought on why their actions make them "ethical" while in the Great Outdoors?<br /><br />Here's another spin on it......<br />I've always believed that the term "ethical" can be applied in many different ways, and doesn't necessarily mean one is right and another is wrong......hehe. ;)

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I'm out on the water and see something floating, I always go beside it and bring it out for the trash when it's time to dock. Anything I take out on the water comes back with me when I'm taking her in after a long day.<br /><br />When I'm out Jeepin', I always stick to the approved trails.<br /><br />Anytime I'm camping, nothing ever gets disturbed and it's hard to tell I was ever there.<br /><br />I don't hunt, so I don't contribute to pollution from spent shells and such... My greatest contribution to ethical hunting is just not showing up out there. :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I am ethical because I only use small charges of C-4 when fishing..... :D :D <br /><br />Really.....if you really love the outdoors and hunting or being on the water, your going to do what you can to keep it pristine. True, you can cover your own "tracks" and help cover someone elses. But in the end, it's up to all of us to keep nature kind to us. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

being able to really appreciate the beauty in <br />all of nature, big and small & the simplicity of <br />survival and what's important in order to live<br />another day...<br />guess it's puts most things into perspective for MY ;) <br /><br />it's exactly why I chose to live where I do...