poll: how many bought used boat then motor quit working

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm interested in hearing nightmares with used boat/outboard.<br /><br />I've read so many posts here where a buyer tested the boat before buying and everything is perfect, and I mean perfect, no noise, outboard starts instantly, shifts great. Then like a week later all hell breaks loose. Why!!!??? How could someone know that their boat is about to go so decides to sell it, must be magicians :D <br /><br />When I bought mine, 1974 Evinrude 85HP V4, it was perfect for like 2 months then started having trouble starting.<br /><br />How long has everyone been trouble free after purchasing a used boat. Be honest, fess up.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: poll: how many bought used boat then motor quit working

yanno, motors (more correctly, engines) are pumps ... pump air in, expand it and pump air out ... so if the basic pump is sound, pressure is good, reed valves are good, then really all you need is fuel and fire ... if the ignition is up to snuff and youve rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, really nothing can go wrong. have you truly rebuilt the carb (stripped it down, soaked it, blown it clear and regasketed it) and gone over your ignition with a manual and meter to make sure all is good there ... if so, nothing should be amiss, and your Ol Faithful should be a one pull wonder.<br /><br />Unless you have a Chrysler ... <br /><br /> :p

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: poll: how many bought used boat then motor quit working

Mercury 402 40 hp, electric and rope start, 1975-76? Did run great for a year or two, then all of a sudden the rust in the splines between crankshaft and driveshaft got it. Bought another 402, electric start only. Also ran great for a year or two. Then the starter fitting(?) got a crack. Tried to fit the rope start from my first 402. These parts didn't fit. Both sold. <br />Bought a new Honda 45 hp in 1991. Loved it. Stolen later. :mad: <br />Bought a new '98 Honda 50 hp. Great engine. :) <br />Same boat since 1987. <br />Bought a '87 Mercury 8 hp last year. No problems at all.<br />I also have a '65 Johnson 6 hp. Bought it in 1991 or so. Lost a spark on one plug. No big deal. Got in running in no time. Still does.