Polisher

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking to buy a poisher to buff my oxidized boat. I did it by hand last year, and it turned out 100% better than when I began, but this year I want to really work the gel coat and get it looking like new. I have an orbital car polisher that I use to apply wax, but I don't think that it has the speed needed to really polish. What does everyone recommend? I have checked at some different home improvement stores for the ones I see the professional boat cleaners using (almost look like a grinder), but have been unsuccessfull. Please give me some thoughts on where to look sto my fingers and arms don't fall off this Spring! Thanks!!!! Have a great week!

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Polisher

heres a couple for ya..<br /><br /> http://www.powertoolservices.com/tool_section/5540-7.htm <br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2378285114&category=42266 <br /><br />variable speed is always prefered or at least a hi/low switch. Milwaukee stuff is highend, but a little heavy. its what i own. the Makitas and Dewalts are a little lighter. a few detailer friends have been raving about the Dewaults to me..<br /><br />i highly recommend switching whatever buffer you buy over to the 3M 2+2 superpad setup.. requires an adapter available on the 3M site..<br /><br />
mediawebserver.dyn

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I warn you ahead of time, a good polisher is not cheap.... I'd highly recomend a Milwaukee, Dewalt, Porter cable, or Makita machine if it's in your budget... My local Home depot has them mixed in with their grinder selection, and I believe the Lowes does as well....<br /><br />I have a craftsman machine.. It's "ok" and it did'nt cost an arm and a leg... Lasted a long time as well.. It's #1 problem is the spindle thread size is odd and no one makes backing pads or adaptors to fit the spindle so that I can use the hook & loop (velcro) type pads.. Sears selection of backing pads is absolutely pitiful.. Go with craftsman and your pretty much stuck with their craftsman worthless junky wool pad.... <br /><br />Ended up making my own backing pads..<br /><br />ps. Use 3M or Meguires products.... Makes all the differnce.. ;)

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not a pro but I do buff out several boats a year for a local yard on a contract basis and have done several over 45'. The advice given above is correct in every respect. After destroying a couple of hobby buffer/polishers I broke down and bought the Milwaukee. Best price I could find was $199.00...it does a great job and will make a man out of you at the same time ;) It is a heavy, powerful machine that you had better have a good grip on, because you will not bog it down. The Makita and DeWalt 849 are also excellent choices...somewhat lighter, about the same power and price.<br /><br />I did not spring for the 3M Stick-It pad system, but probably should have. I use their lambswool pads (shown above) which hold up very well. As far as compound...anything by 3M is OK, just depends on how badly oxidized the surface is. If it is not really bad, 3M Finnesse-It is a great product. The only other product I would recommend is called AquaBuff 2000...a hard to find paste that is some trouble to use, but does a great job.<br /><br />One word of advice on buying supplies such as compound and pads. They are a LOT cheaper at your local auto-body supply house.

jeremyp111

Seaman

Harborfreight tools has a variable speed polisher that sells for $49 and is actually very good quality. A guy over on another boating forum took one apart and checked it out to see how well it was made and said it was made extremely well, comparable to polishers costing 3-4 times as much. It's now on sale for $24.99. It's made by Chicago Electric. I have a router and a circular saw made by Chicago Electric and they both are awesome tools. Here's the link to the polisher.<br /><br /> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46507

LubeDude

Admiral

Ryoken:<br /><br />You be the man, great advice.<br /><br />As to the Harbor Freight polisher, I have one of those my self, The secret to those is to take the cap off the top of the gearcase every time you use it and grease the gears and shaft end, They are cheap, work decently, but are not bearing on the top. Noisy, growly, come with extra set of brushes, Actually OK for the average user if really taken care of. They will accept the 3M Pad system.

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Lube Dude and Jeremy,<br /><br />Thanks for the great feedback. I think that I am going to roll with that piece of equip as it is cheap and takes the 3m pad. If it turns out to be poorly made, I am only out $25!<br /><br />Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member

Hey, The Sears Craftsman Tool Shed here has a Two Pack of Polisher/Buffers on Sale......<br />1 was a Big 2 handed model,+ the other was a smaller unit.....<br />Seems like it was $40./$50. for the box.....<br />Bad case of CRS, But,... I Remember it Is a Good Deal........ :D

flashback

Captain

I have a black and decker buffmaster, had it so long I can't remember the cost, but I can tell you this, it has been thru many boats and still running good.. It also has variable speed which I find almost a must have.... good luck in your search.....

LubeDude

Admiral

OK guys, dont get me wrong, Im a firm believer in quality tools and also have a Makita variable speed buffer I use at work, I only use the cheep one at home on ocation. Buy what you can afford and think about how much you are going to use it.

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

I took your advise and bought the Chicago Electric Polisher. Hope that she works out nice. I priced out Lowes and Home Depot, and could not justify the 120+ prices. I think that this will do just fine for the once a year application I will use it for.<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback!