point and condenser - Tune Up OOOOOPS!

maine4winns

Cadet
First year tuning up our 1989 Four WInns 4.3 OMC Cobra. (ignition system).

I removed the distributor cap, Removed the screw for condenser hold down and removed condenser, backed off bolt/screw for points, condenser and coil wires. Removed hold down screw for points.

Now this is where I incurred something that I have NEVER had happen! A retaining clip *(see attached picture) went flying when I removed all the wires from the hold down bolt area for the wires.

Granted this Is my first time venturing into a Cobra points ignition system, but I have done plenty of points and condensers over the years. If this "clip" is needed - could someone point me (no pun intended) in the right direction so I can procure one? I have looked over through my OMC repair manual and scoured hundreds of diagrams.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 20240703_184819.jpg
    20240703_184819.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

kenny nunez

Captain
Try to find a small flat washer which should do the job over the condenser terminal over the points spring.
Be careful where you buy the ignition parts. All the big box auto stores sell trash. NAPA might be your best option.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes the points pivot has a groove to receive a circlip. Johnson/evinrude points sets have that, not sure about Cobra.

maine4winns

Cadet
Try to find a small flat washer which should do the job over the condenser terminal over the points spring.
Be careful where you buy the ignition parts. All the big box auto stores sell trash. NAPA might be your best option.
Thank you for the reply Kenny. It's funny that you suggested a small flat washer. That is exactly what I put under the wire bolt/screw in order to secure a good connection for the points/condenser and col wires.

I bought Johnson - Evinrude part #0987926 through Wholesale Marine (Points and Condenser), It looked like the original condenser - so I kept that and will keep the new (not as good) condenser on standby in the boat.

maine4winns

Cadet
Sometimes the points pivot has a groove to receive a circlip. Johnson/evinrude points sets have that, not sure about Cobra.
I can not see where a "circlip" would work in this application. I took a picture before I started doing anything (attached to above post) and you can see the copper "U Clip" that fits over the coil/condenser/points and screw - but not sure where to source one. A part number is not called specifically. I am hoping that the small washer over the wires and under the securing bots/screw works.

maine4winns

Cadet
That clip does not look like a factory part to me.
I am thinking it is not. Not sure why it was there! I am putting boat in water tomorrow for a test run. Runs fine on muffs - but the true test is underway.

I am hoping that this solves my shifting issue (going from neutral to drive or reverse and the motor spits and sputters). The old points, distributor cap and rotor were worn considerably. Spark plug wires are new. Other than the shifting issue - boat ran smooth. If this doesn't work I'll look at ESA and shifting cable adjustments.