plumbing pump question

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i need to pump a constant and consistant volume of salt water thru a 3/4 or 5/8" hose @ 45psi with a 12v pump on my boat.
this is for a science project aimed at extracting certain minerals from ocean water.
so, how do i accomplish this?

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: plumbing pump question

where does the 45 psi requirement come from? what will you be pumping through or sucking through to give that type of restriction? I never looked into it but that sounds like alot of pressure to generate with a 12v pump.....

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there will be restriction in the device as the raw water is processed. do you know about pumps?

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

How much flow do you need. A vane pump may get you the psi you need.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

As others have indicated, using a 12 v pump to push water through a 3/4 ~ 5/8 hose is a lot of volume. You may need to provide 120 v to some kind of charger to a battery to keep up with the electrical discharge.

Interested in the concept. What is your premise?

salty87

Commander

shouldn't be too hard.

what type of boat are you working with?....outboard, i/o, inboard?...outboard will be harder but either way you need a water intake, one of those pumps, and some basic wiring including a fuse.

boat showers are the same, just not as much pressure or size hose (1/2" i think)

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

45 PSI going through a 5/8" opening will flow around 75 gallons per minute. To use a commonly available 12V pump, you'll need either less pressure or a smaller opening. You sure you really need 45 PSI through a 5/8" hose?

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all the input. that blaster pump looks good.
i bit the bullet and got a 2.5 hp gas driven pump that will handle salt water. all the volume and pressure i need.
I am installing a 1"bronze water intake scoop strainer as a pickup. i understand these produce lots of pressure on their own while underway.
i'm on the fence about where to put it. i'm finding very little info so far.
anyway , thanks for the help.

salty87

Commander

you installing this on your boat? pump sounds like it needs to be on deck. intake pick-up usually are toward the stern on a nice flat spot.

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just be careful running a gas engine in the boat. carbon monoxide fumes accumulate on a calm day