Plugs plugs and wires

Cadmandu

Cadet
Hi All
What plugs, wires, cap, rotor and condenser do i need for a 1977 GM 250 cu in, inline 6 cyl 165 hp mercuriser do I need to buy?
Would it be the same parts for the car engine that has been modifies?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Generally Mercruisers use their own ignition systems in their marinized auto engines. However, in that old of a motor, anything is possible.

There are lots of web stores where you can look up and buy the correct parts.

It is likely that iBoats is one of them. ebasicpower is another, crowleymarine is a third. Sierra likely makes the right components.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Technically 250 Cu in does convert to 4.0L, However, make sure you get parts for the inline 6 that you have, for the year you have. Ignition systems changed greatly over the years, so you need the correct year and engine. I would expect it to be known by the original designation i.e. 250 cu in inline 6.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
If you go on mercruiserparts (cannot remember off hand if that is the correct name for the site) you can download the catalog for your motor giving you all the correct part numbers. A lot of the parts are no longer available but you can use them to cross reference to the correct available part. I have had to do this a lot with my 73' 140

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those engines were very common for boats of that era. You probably cannot get one now, as inline 6s seem to have faded away, in favor of V6 motors.