Plugs, Cap, Rotor???

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all.<br /><br />I have a 1985 19' Doral, with a 3.8l V6 OMC Stringer. Just wanted to know the best plugs, cap and rotor for this engine. Do I need to get marine, or is automotive the same?<br /><br />Also the gap specs would be good to..

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Plugs, Cap, Rotor???

Marine for sure.Your boat engine,while used also in cars, is a different beast.You are going to run alot at full RPMs,as well as just hit the gas and hold it wide open.Or you may idle (troll) for hours.<br /><br />Beyond that you don't need auto parts that may spill gas into your bilge,and other auto parts that will let spark get to that gas.<br /><br />DHP

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Plugs are the only thing that I would use automotive if marine were out of stock or a huge price difference.

whywhyzed

Banned

The 3.8 automotive was HEI, so you won't actually find a compatible cap at crappy tire..<br />I bought the Sierra cap and rotor- works good - <br /><br />automotive plugs are recommended in the OMC service manual:<br />AC MR-43-T <br />or<br />Champion RBL-8<br /><br />gap is .035"

KaGee

Admiral

Or you could switch over to the Dark Side and convert to Pertronix! ;)

whywhyzed

Banned

pertronix is an electronic conversion kit to get you away from points trigger for your ignition. It's a maintenance free replacement for points.<br /><br />You will still use the same parts listed above though.<br />With Pertronix you use the same cap and rotor and spark plugs as original equipment.<br /><br />The pertronix conversion requires a new ESA(electronic shift assist) module, which is sold by a company called RAPAIR.<br /><br />You could wait till your ESA module dies which will happen any time now...causing sticky shifting out of gear... When you get the "sticker shock" of the OMC ESA module price, you can buy a Rapair "pertronix compatible" ESA and the Pertronix kit for less $...justifies the conversion..<br />Or you can change it all now before the ESA module dies on you..<br /><br />How's your shifting? actually I would be surprised to hear your ESA module is still working at 20 years old...

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll have to research the petronix.<br /><br />As for the ESA..??? Not sure I follow you. I was under the assumption that I had a cable shifter.<br /><br />Now I are puzzled... :) <br /><br />Just had the water pump shaft, rear exposed gear like things replaced, and the output shaft replaced last year..<br /><br />For the last 3 years have just done the winterization, fired her up in the sping, and off we went.<br /><br />I also am thinking about rebuilding the carb, if it's not to huge an undertaking. 4BBL Holley.. Any hints on that? or should I have my mechanic tackle it. <br /><br />Reason for carb in my head, is there is a rod on the side that when pushed into the card pumps fuel, but it also leaks a small amount too..!

KaGee

Admiral

I don't think the leak is a good thing. 4bbl rebuilds are not for the average backyard mechanic. I think I would check on the cost of a new or factory rebuilt carb and compare it to what your mechanic would charge for rebuilding yours.<br /><br />Be sure to use AC spark plugs on that engine. Buy the marine plugs... I believe they're stainless steel. I believe my 3.8 has MR-42s on it.<br /><br />The ESA is the Electronic Shift Assist module that sits under the port side manifold. When you shift in and out of gear, it causes the engine to stumble briefly removing torque from the clutch dog and allowing it to disengage.