Plugs all carboned up and cant figure out whY??

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is my problem:

After every outing with my 1996 75hp force, I take the spark plugs out and clean them Due to the fact that they are always solid black. I never foul any plugs after a whole day of boating, they are just really carboned up when ever i take them out. So carboned up that you can barely make out the top of the plug. Agian, she starts up fine and runs fine on the water though. My queation is how can i clear up this issue. I preformed a decarb job about 1month ago with good results. my mixture screw is set at 1.5 turns out. I am however, mixing at little over the 50:1 ration when getting gas. I put a little more oil than reccommended mabey around an oz more. The guy I bought it from reccommended this process? Anyways, how much carbon does it take to mess up you rings.......And how can I correct my issue thanks guys.
O I am also using citgo, B.A.S.S. sponsors this oil if that helps. It isnt the best quality of oil runs around $7 for a gallon.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plugs all carboned up and cant figure out whY??

An ounce or so oil over isn't going to cause any problems.Adding that extra is pretty much a waste.Be sure the oil you are using is rated TCW3.
Mixture screws should be set for the best operation and each as close to the same as possible.There are I believe puddle valves that drain excess fuel from the crank case these may be plugged.You might try a search for puddle valves.I think I've seen these valves refered to often on Force motors.
maybe that extra ounce of oil over time loaded up the puddle valves.
They seem to be on the block near the crankcase split.May be long narrow housing with 4 or 6 bolts.

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks steelspike.....Puddle valve is definately something new to me. Can someone explain where this is located and how to properly clean/check it. If not too much trouble pictures would be nice (skematics). Thanks fellows, couldnt do it without yall!!!

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
mine also does this

mine also does this

I just installed new plugs and ran her hard for 5 days, id like to pull them and have a look. i adjusted my carb 3/4 turn out, it stalled four times at the lake after pumping the squeze handle it would run. Ive got 85 octane gas in Utah and wonder if maybe this is the problem. I may try 91 octane see what happens. I replaced the diaphram fuel kit few years ago. Maybe there is a carbon fuel additive we could add. I see you posted 1.5 turns out on the carb? Mine would run like crap FYI the 96 only had one carb for three cyls the 97 and up get more.

Berke

Cadet

Hi ifishhard. I'm having exactly the same problem with my 1992 70HP Force. I'm using Quicksilver Premium Plus oil, so I don't think it has got anything to do with the oil you are using. I'm still trying to solve the issue, but didn't had any luck so far. The things i did: decarb, cleaned carburator, adjusted mixture

john from md

Commander

Look for a hose that goes to the bottom of your intake box. This picks up extra Fuel/oil and dumps it back into the crankcase. Your hose may be hard and broken or the orifice on the box side or engine side maybe clogged. I blow mine out with canned air once a year to make sure they are not clogged.

John

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are the hoses that yall are referring to around the fuel pump???
Also, is the "puddle valve" behind the fuel pump?? Please advise!:confused:

john from md

Commander

The hose will be at the bottom of the air box and it goes into the side of the crankcase, if you have a hose that is. Those on the fuel pump are for the fuel pump.

John

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

First off you might want to turn them screws out to at least a full turn. 3/4 turn is getting pretty lean and can lead to some serious damage. The slang for puddle valves is referring to your recirculation system. Item 5 is a check valve and that can be plugged. You might want to try the FAQ forum and do a decarb on the motor. Chances are you are seeing carbon build up on the plugs.
5.png

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks man! Now, you stated that #5 is the check valve. How do you properly clean/check it? i see that it is tubing; however, it is connected to two fittings one on the fuel pump and one at the bottom, guessing crankcase. I can however take the tubing and press on it and it is firm lke there is gas present, so does that mean that it isnt clogged?. pretty much I dont want to have to take it off if it isnt needed. bEcause with my lck lately I would screw something up! Thanks so far for the replies, keep em' coming!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I cant help on the force. Just posted the diagram. Seems to me that the biggest problem with the recirculation system being plugged will make running at idle a problem. Do the decarb first. If you have access to a 3 gallon gas can do it that way or get some seafoam deep creep and go that route. If you do the deep creep keep it far away from your house. Spray some in each carb when motor it warmed up. Keep spraying in the carbs but dont let the motor die. When about half the can is gone kill the motor and remove the plugs and spray the rest in each cylinder. Let it sit for a couple of hours then run it out for like a half hour then take it to the lake and run at higher speeds for an hour or so. You will need new plugs afterwords. Maybe turn them idle mixture screws about 1/4 turn counter clock wise so you are at least a full turn from lightly seated. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the recirculation system

Also on the above diagram both 3 and 5 are check valves. Good luck