Plugging Baitwell Exhaust

Fester

Seaman
I need a way to plug the fron baitwell exhaust. The drain plugs are in the back but I believe that the exhaust is in the front. We have a leak in the boat and think it is coming from within the hoses connecting the baitwell exhaust.

The only plugs I have found that do this are the large cone shaped blocks of wood but was wondering if there were any other more permanent plugs, or at least plastic removable plugs you can buy. Any info would be helpful. The plug will need to fit the through hull hose and adapter.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Plugging Baitwell Exhaust

Excuse my ignorance, but by "baitwell exhaust" you mean drain?

But, you said you had "drain plugs out the back". Do you think your "drain plugs out the back" are actually intake holes? If so, than your "baitwell exhaust" is the baitwell drain, right?

My baitwell has a water intake (from a hose connected thru the transom, transom hole covered by a screen, with a sea-**** inside at the transom) and a drain (attached to a hose which drains out the side, UNDER the waterline -which I hate, no sea ****, no screen). I assume your exhaust/drain hole is below the waterline, right?

Do you have access to this leaky hose (whatever it's called) as in comes in thru your hull? If so does it have a sea-**** at the hull fitting on the inside? (a valve with a straight handle - turn it 90 degrees to shut it)

Intake holes under the waterline usually are covered by a screen of some sort. Drain holes have no screen. If your hole doesn't have a screen, it's probably a drain. Drain thru-hull fittings usually don't have a sea-****.

If you have access to the thru-hull exhaust/drain hole area from the inside, maybe you can install a shutoff valve right next to the hull. Home Depot has these which can slip into hoses and secure via pipe clamps. Shut it when not using the baitwell.

I suspect you have no access, so, for a plug, what about one of those rubber plugs that expand when you flip its little lever, or swell when you tighten the handle? The twist to tighten handles would probably work better, as there would be less chance of the moving water to rip it out as you cruise along.

Like the first couple on this page...

http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Drain_Plugs/dm/*******.648008165--**********.389875784--view_id.257673

At any rate, your could try it, and see if it stops your leak.

(Or, while your boat is on its trailer/lift, stick a garden hose in it, fill the bilge, and see if it leaks OUT of your exhaust/drain hole)

Sorry for the long post, but pics might have helped, and at least it shows I was thinking about your problem!

Jim

Fester

Seaman

I do have an intake on the bottom of the boat in the back that has a screen and is the intake for the livewell and baitwell. There are also 2 plugs next to the main drain plug that are drains for both of the wells. There are 2 additional "holes" in the boat.

1. Bilge pump
2. Livewell drain the the back just below the waterline
3. Baitwell drain the the front pretty far under the waterline

I have access to the hose but want to just plug the hole for testing. It seems to be a standard through hull drain and I think it is 1 1/2 "

Just looking for the best solution for plugging this hole, whether it be temporary or permanent

I believe your talking about the livewell overflows. You should be able to find a plug that fits the through-hull fitting, check the iboats store. I keep plugs in mine all the time except when I'm using the livewell.

Fester

Seaman

YES!! Thank You.....would you think that if there is a substantial leak that it could be the pressure from the water flowing into the overflow hole and a crack in the hose causing the issue? I am plugging it anyway but just wanted to know

would you think that if there is a substantial leak that it could be the pressure from the water flowing into the overflow hole and a crack in the hose causing the issue?

Absolutely. It's very possible that the hose is either cracked or slightly loose. Another possibility is that the through-hull fitting isn't well sealed. Best bet is to find a way to visually check that area while the boat's in the water. Might have to use a flashlight and mirror, some livewell plumbing is darned hard to get at.