plug wires for outboards same as auto?

Crupi

Seaman
is the plug wires on outboards same as autos r they differnt? its a 1975 mercury 85hp

aeronutt29

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: plug wires for outboards same as auto?

Outboard motors usually aren't too worried about radio interference so they use a solid copper core wire that acts like a big broadcast antenna about 5000 times per minute. Car motors generally use a carbon filament wire that doesn't broadcast radio interference and is refered to as a "resistor" wire. The copper wire conducts the spark better.

Crupi

Seaman

ok.. is it ok to use automotive plug wires r no?

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not trying to be smart...but you could use a coat hanger, but that might not be the best way to conduct electricity. The solid wire is the best way like aeronutt said.

ob

Admiral

most automotive wires you will buy have longer leads than outboard motors .you will likely encounter problems with the excess under cowl. shortening them becomes an issue to get good contact when assembling ends.I personally would not reccommend using and would buy the stock harnesses from dealer or equivelant for outboard application

Crupi

Seaman

well thanks i was looking for parts on internet seemed hard to find for that motor but i fixed the wire i just wonderd if there was a diffence in wires.. thanks for the help this motor i have has issues :rolleyes:

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would not use auto wire. goto a motorcycle shop and get the good NGK plug ends, they screw int the plug wires. they should have the solid wire on rolls for like .10 a foot or what not. i just got mine rigged up and it is a way more positive connection than the old stab into the side of the plug wire to hope to hit the wire.

sloopy

Commander

I like AGM's wires!

Crupi

Seaman

wheres a good place to find those