Plug wire resistance?

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1979 90hp, inline 6. What should the resistance be on the plug wires? I can not find the info for that in my manual. I can find stator, trigger and coil, but not plug wires. Thanks

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Plug wire resistance?

1979 90hp, inline 6. What should the resistance be on the plug wires? I can not find the info for that in my manual. I can find stator, trigger and coil, but not plug wires. Thanks
And you probably never will. Run the stock wires and you'll get the best fire on the plugs. I beleive you can still order them in iBoats parts. Do not discard your boots just in case the new wires don't have them.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, in essence, as long as they are not completely broke and ruinied and shorted, they will be fine?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Nathan, The plug wire cores are solid stranded stainless steel. "Resistance is futile" (actually zero)

Normally, unless they are really corroded on the ends, the insulation goes first, and the core wire is fine.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So, in essence, as long as they are not completely broke and ruinied and shorted, they will be fine?

Fire the motor up on the hose at night and have a look.. If you don't see any arcing to ground then you should be good to go as long as you've got fire in all the holes.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Thats what I figured, but I ran across some article that said it should read somewhere around 3-4 ohms. They were probably referring to auto plug wires. We are good to go I think, one cracked boot, super glue fixed it. Good electrical tape for added protection. I got less than .3 ohms on all the wires, so they have good continuity.

Now...on to fix the cracked wiring harness.

Mi duckdown

Commander

You got to be kidding me. Replace the plug wires. if you attempt to rewire in the same faction you did the Boot. you will have problems up the *****. Cut and clean wires. Soldier. And Use epoxy shrink tubing over that.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

no such thing as duct-tapeing plug wires - replace them .