Pls Rank the Manufactures On This List

clayshooter555

Recruit
Looking for some insight from all of you experienced Tooners!

In terms of value for the buck as I look at purchasing our first ever pontoon how do you rank these manufactures:

Avalon, Sweetwater, Bennington, Quest, Gillgetter, Sunchaser, and Tracker?

Just the boat and nothing else.

Many thanks!

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Pls Rank the Manufactures On This List

Well "Shooter' within that list, Bennington would be considered the best. They're high quality, high dollar, best resale. I would say the others are all about the same. Well built, excellent bang for your buck. Could include Starcraft, Bentley, and a host of others as well. Good luck !!!

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

On that list I would say Benny has the best reputation. Avalon has a wide range of boats. They make some very high-end stuff as well as some pretty reasonable stuff. Frankly, Benny does too now. Heck, you can buy a Benny here for 16k now witha 50hp.

If I had to rank, I would say Benny, SW, Avalon/Sunchaser, Tracker and never heard of the rest. There really are not any "bad" pontoons out there these days I don't think. I don't like TMC much mostly due to their styling.....very non modern looking.

I am partial to Benny, Premiere, Bently and Berkshire. I own a new Sylvan, but no one could touch the deal I got.

Haerterich

Cadet

I have never been able to understand what makes Bennington rank so high on these lists... They are so popular on the lake I boat on because the major dealer in town sells Bennington. I have to say when I looked at all the new pontoons this past winter at the boat show, I was not impressed. The hardware, fit, and finish was not that good. Simple things, like the Bimini top hardware/connections are all plastic. All the manufacturers are putting out a solid product. I think the most important thing is to find the layout style you want. They are all trying to bring new layouts to market. Find the floor plan that meets your needs. That and a dealer that will be there when you need them

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Since I have a dog in the race I won't rank any companies(I work for Bennington) but I will tell you to look at how the boats are built.

You want through bolted decks and rails, not screwed down, look at how the brackets are attached to the tubes and what kind of brackets they are, do they use full length welds on M style brackets, all stainless hardware, cleats and corner castings made from stainless steel not cast aluminum and last compare warranties.

You have a very wide variety of boats listed from basic entry level to top of the line boats so quality and feature are going to vary wildly, in car terms you have everything from a Ford Focus to a Mercedes so when you break it down to the nuts and bolt you will find major differences

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would be more concerned with the power source, while the boats have different icing levels they are all the same principal

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Couldn't disagree more, that is like saying a Yugo and a Ferrari are basically the same, there are major differences between the brands, no way ever in any world are screwed on rails and decks nearly as good as through bolted ones and a cast stainless steel corner is way better than a cat aluminum one.

Some have much better vinyl and carpet ect ect ect, as with anything else there are huge diffences between different brands, yes they all have tubes and decks but what is inbetween is way different.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Couldn't disagree more, that is like saying a Yugo and a Ferrari are basically the same, there are major differences between the brands, no way ever in any world are screwed on rails and decks nearly as good as through bolted ones and a cast stainless steel corner is way better than a cat aluminum one.

Some have much better vinyl and carpet ect ect ect, as with anything else there are huge diffences between different brands, yes they all have tubes and decks but what is inbetween is way different.

While probably completetely true, the average consumer likely does not know the difference or does not care. They go by brand name, and how the thing looks.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A thing to also consider is location of dealers for the toon and the motor, specially when it is a new purchase