Please tell me I'm Stupid for asking this.

Boater31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it got you attention. I was tracking down a fuel gauge problem. Cleaned contacts to brand new. Figured since I have gone this far I should pull the sender and make sure its giving correct reading. Well in doing so a little junk got in the tank. Small parts of grime from around sender and small particles of the float rubbing off coming in and out of the hole. Nothing bigger then a grain of rice and most just like saw dust. Total amount is hard to measure but I would say pretty small amount.

My wanting to be done with projects and be on the water says forget about it, what doesn't settle on the bottom will be filtered in the filter (screw on canister that changes at end of season) and be no problem.

I really hope you guys agree with me. Otherwise this will be the second mostly full 38g tank I have drained on this boat, and still wont be entirely sure its all out as the sender hole is the only visible part of the tank.

As always thanks.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
thats what filters are for. unless there was a bunch of crap, dont sweat it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unless the particles are small enough to get past the pick up strainer and then plug your anti-siphon, dont sweat it. in fact deal with it only if it becomes a problem

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Yep, filters are a good thing!

Once dropped the silver sealing ring on the top of a oil bottle down the filler neck.. Talk about a stupid moment! 10 years and 45,000 miles later, the big 454 in the RV still doesn't care that I did that, it was either mashed up by the pistons or caught in the oil filter.

cableguy1979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agreed with letting it ride but I would use most of the fuel I had in the tank and then try and get anything out and replace the water separator filter. You could also add another inline filter for better filtering but its probably unneeded. If its a carb definitely don't worry. If its fuel injected not really needed again but if anything gets past the filters it could cause issues.