Please help!

tripc

Seaman Apprentice
Long story short.
Brand new rebuilt motor. Upper drive work done. ( bellows, u- joints,carrier,gimbal ) all brand new!
Get the boat out of the shop and 5 mins after splashing I hear a sound like a lifter knocking! Put the boat in neutral and sound goes away. Put in forward ms reverse and the sound comes back!
Call the shop that did the work. They come out and don't hear anything. I tell them to go back and listen again! They said it sounds like some broken gears in my lower unit. Another 2600 for new gears, upper and lower drive shafts, bearing and so on. Rebuilt the whole drive by now.
Get the boat back today and go on the water. 10 mins put and the same sound comes back. I guess it wasn't Lowe gears and such.
I know that the sound is coming from the drive which they have basically rebuilt completely!
My question is. When they bring in back to the shop and finally fix the problem Whig I know are not gears. Should I ask for a refund onthe 2600 for the gears and driveshafts etc. That did not fix my problem.
Here's a video of the noise
Does anybody know what it might be. I think it's in the upper u joint yoke area
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/conroyz28/Mobile Uploads/?action=view&current=IMG_6229.mp4
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/conroyz28/Mobile Uploads/?action=view&current=IMG_6229.mp4

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please help!

What is it an Alpha? Almost seems like it has to be something in the lower unit beings it only makes the sound in gear. Can you run it on the trailer with muffs and see if it does the same. May be able to pin point where the sound is coming from better. Also you will be able to see if it does it in gear with no load on the prop. As far as getting any money back good luck. New parts are in there and their not going to give them to ya. Maybe ask for the labor back. Don't mean to put any salt in the wounds but you could have got a NEW SEI drive for $1500 which comes with a 3 year fault free warranty. You can run the bill up on one of these in a shop real quick. Did the shop install the drive? If so you would think they would have inspected the u-joints and all during assembly. Is the prop on with all the correct hardware?

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

Could it be the flywheel or something like that?

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, those are all expensive and not so easy to do.... So why not think simple first?

Sounds to me like it's not all the way in gear.

The drive will make a very nasty ticking sound if its not all the way in gear -- especially with new clutch dogs.......
Since it happens in both gears, you probably need a lower shift cable
-- is the control hard to move back and forth? If so, the upper shift cable is probably shot too..

Disconnect the upper shift cable at the plate near or on the engine (where the shift interupt switch is).

See if you can easily move the lower cable back and forth -- you should be able to move it with minamal effort -- if you can't, replace it -- bad lower shift cables eat lots of clutch dogs...... :)

If the control is still hard to move with the upper cable disconnected in the back, you may need to replace the upper cable too...

:)

cr2k

Captain

U-Joints? Does the sound change when steering to port or starboard?

And find another shop. One that will find and fix the problem not just throw YOUR money at till it goes away.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

U-Joints are brand new. less then an hour on them with the gimbal.
The shifter cables are not hard at all the move. They feel the same as always. Also I think this noise is only doing it when it gets a little warmed up.

The shop has a great reputation of building some of the best race motors out there. If you guys know Lake Texoma in Texas then you will know who im talking about.

Funny thing is
The owner of the shop went out there today after my morning call and said he cant hear anything. Dont know how lond he was out there for but after about 10 mins yesterday. It started making the noise for me..

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so you checked the lower with the upper disconnected, right?

Raise the drive and make sure the shift arm on the lower is properly engaged in the foot on the upper... Can be tricky to get it all to line up..... : o )

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

I have not seen the out drive off the boat taken apart. Its always been at the shop. I dont think it is something like a cable or anything like that. The funny thing is. It does not do it if the motor is cold. Only after about 1015 mins of run time..