Please help!!!

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I need some help/advice on some boat electronics. I have a 200 watt cd player in my boat, I want to be able to leave the radio going while anchored and swimming and not have to worry about the battery dying. I've researche things and I do not want to wire a battery switch it's just time and money I don't wanna do it. Should I jut install a small battery and hook it straight to that and jut bring that battery home with me to charge at night? This is the way I am leaning but was wondering what people recommen a deep cycle or what?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please help!!!

Double posting is frowned on. One will do nicely.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You're OK spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a CD player, 200 watt amplifier, and a spare battery but you don't want to spend $38.00 on a dual battery switch to isolate the electronics?

You're OK with the hassle of taking the battery in & out of the boat to charge it but not OK with taking 30 minutes to install the switch?

Makes sense....:confused:

ebrich2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not trying to sound harsh but you will enjoy it a whole lot more if its done right!

chrclo

Seaman Apprentice

I agree install some sort of battery isolating device. Switch, ACR, or Isolator there are opinions on which is best. I have an isolator and have been very happy for over 2 years.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have an isolator and have been very happy for over 2 years.

Has it crossed your mind that having us know why your unhappy with an isolator just might help us understand your thinking. For all you know the isolator is bad, poorly installed, or ?????? Work with us -- we are not mind readers and can't see your boat. As I indicated in my other post -- a "small" battery will not work any better than what you have (apparently).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

ST...I think he has written that he IS HAPPY with the isolater....:confused:

chrclo

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I am happy with the isolator. One of the best things I have done to the boat.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

is it that you dont want to pay for the switch, take the time to install or you dont know how to install it?

~ dont want to pay for it
you will spend more on a good battery charger and more money in electricity charging over time than what the switch will cost

~ dont want to take the time to install it
you will spend 5 min in each direction with the battery everytime you take the boat out. dont forget remembering to hook it up to the charger after use or you wont be able to use it next time...also will it last on a long day?

~ dont know how to properly install it
if you know how to read directions you can install it. if you can install a radio you can install it...if all else fails look it up or ask

At the end of the day adding a switch with a second battery IS the right solution. i will be doing the same thing myself this weekend as i dont want to be stranded because of sitting with my radio on (which has an additional amp)

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

ya know i got to thinking more about this tonight....

you could...

have two batteries without a switch ~ run an isolater after the alternator that then goes to each battery. the isolater will make sure that the alternator charges both batteries when underway. the advantage to this would be that you would have one battery for the boat and the other just for the radio. if the radio battery tanks you can still make it home!

i kinda like that idea...hmm may do that myself