Please help! wot breakdown

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a few problems with my 85 35hp merc. First the carb is leaking and i think it's a gasket and i really don't think it's the problem here. It is drippin from the bottom from a gasket so i figure i can get that. Here in lies the conflict. The motor starts in about 7 pulls the first time and once it starts once 1 pull is all thats needed. It idles fine and will run great at low speeds. When i power it up it will try to die down or conk out. Since i'm in open water i rev down and cruise in cause my anxiety. I've heard it could be fuel or it could be i'm running on 1 cylinder. I changed both fuel filters in the tank and main fuel filter. But if it's that i'm running on 1 how much could it cost to fix and what it all done when it's fixed. it's my first outbaord and i just got it so i am concerned. How much would cost to get it serviced and 1 last thing is it safe to go out on as is. Hopefully you guys can help me :0) josh

M.Magis

Cadet
Re: Please help! wot breakdown

I'm new here, and far from an expert, so take this for what it's worth. Is it possible it's sucking air from the same place it's leaking fuel? Is the bulb staying firm? Have someone do a compression test for you, or buy a tester. Very easy to do and a nice tool to have when you need it. Tough to guess how much to fix without knowing the exact problem.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Please help! wot breakdown

Don't know that particular carb but if its leaking from the bowl drain it could be leaking elsewhere. Since you are having trouble with high speed it is probably the high speed jets, you are either sucking air somewhere in the fuel system (probably the carb) or your jets are clogged with gum. Either way the carb should be removed and looked at probably rebuilt. If you don't feel comfortable getting a manual and doing it yourself take it in to a shop. Buy the manual anyway as a reference. Check the rest of the fuel lines and tank for possible air leaks in the hose and or connections. Make sure tank vent is open