please help with choke linkage!

garzaglass

Seaman
1978 75h evinrude
i just got my carbs back on and i got the throttle linkage on no prob since its only one link to all three carbs but the choke links are driving me crazy. i know im putting them on just like they were as i have a pic of them but they are not matching up. when i have them on the choke does not move freely. one carb will be open and the others half open. the only thing i dont know about is the top and botton carbs. i dont know if they are back on the exact way they were as they look exaclty the same. the top carb could be on the bottom now and the bottom carb could be on the top. could that be causing it? they look the same as far as where the links are.

thanks for your help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: please help with choke linkage!

you should have 3 carbs, top and bottom are alike middle is a different #. you probably have some in the wrong postion.

garzaglass

Seaman

yeah i got the middle one in the right place but do the top and bottom ones nees to be in a specific place? i didnt think so.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

one of them has the cam for the throttle linkage, doesn't it.

garzaglass

Seaman

i dont know what that looks like. you know anywhere that would have a pic as well?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

they say put 'em back in the position they were in before, but your top & bottom carbs are identical.

the 2 choke linkages are identical, too, but they go on in mirror image, if that makes sense.

I'm doing this from memory, so bear with me........see if this helps.......

Attachments

• chokelink.JPG
    chokelink.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 0

garzaglass

Seaman

yes that makes sense and thats the way i put them but it still doesnt work. they do go on that way but the choke flaps are not even when they do. does that make sense? i see there is a screw that i can adjust on the pin that holds the choke flaps but what i dont understand is how did they move? i didnt move them and they are still tight. thats why i think im putting something on wrong.

garzaglass

Seaman

yeah ive looked at that. it doesnt show everything. i just need to see it put together i think.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I hear ya! Those diagrams can be a little confusing.Maybe someone with the same setup can snap a pic and post it.
Good luck with it..:)

garzaglass

Seaman

i sent a pm to jtexas. hes the only one i know with the same engine.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

pics would be no problem, but I keep the boat at a storage yard, won't have it out again until a week from Saturday.

but thinking about it, I realize the carbs can be used in either the top or bottom position, but they have to be configured correctly - the plastic clip where the choke linkage rods snap into, are installed in the upper hole on the bottom carb, and the lower hole on the upper carb........

I've never tried to mess with the plastic parts of the carbs - if that happened to me, I'd swap the top & bottom, that ought to do it.

A prior owner took a screwdriver or something and scratched a "T" on one of my carb bowls and a "B" on the other - as long as I don't cris-cross the bowls, I always know which is which.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

found an image I downloaded from iboats awhile back, marked the choke linkage with a yellow arrow.........

3cyllinkages.jpg