Please help, what am I doing wrong?

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I'm gonna explain step by step in detail what I have done and experienced so maybe I can get some help. I bought a cd player and speakers for my sea ray. It is an older boat and had a cassette player and obviously I'm not finding a wiring harness so I knew I'd be splacing. I connected the red and yellow wires on the new cd pkayer both to the red wire on the old cd player. I then just pushed the knew ground onto the threads of a screw. The cd player was turning on and seemed to be working fine. I startted the process of removing the old speakers and was installing the first speaker. I got it hooked up sat up and no power on the cd player. I have tried for hours to get it powered again. U doing the red and yellow rehooking them, taking off the ground putting it back onto screw and all no luck. I'm thinking one of 2 things either I'm doing something wrong with the ground and it was a fluke that it worked because I saw where your supposed to use a common ground which I have noo idea what that is, or maybe the red wire on the old unit isn't good or has a short. Any sort of info would be helpful as I would rather do this myself instead of taking it so a shop. Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please help, what am I doing wrong?

You need to get a multi meter to measure your voltage.

Hook up your ground to the ground bus bar at the fuse panel.

Make sure that the red wire you are connecting to is coming from the fuse panel and is protected by a fuse

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice

Ok dumb question where is the fuse panel? What's a ground bus bar?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

post a picture of the under side of your dash where all the wires and gauges are. several angles.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here hope this helps.

Attachments

• 12v System.jpg
    12v System.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0