Please help this noob. 1989 Sunbird

BrianBSHS

Cadet
Alright so I just bought this 1989 Sunbird 19ft cuddy cabin OMC, and I've had nothing but problems since (I know, 'welcome to the world of boating). Currently my pump ball is going flat and this only happened because I was running out of fuel, so I think there is just debris in the tank. (Question #1: How can I safely get the debris out of the tank?) Also, my throttle cables just snapped and I almost hit another boat while pulling into the marina (Scared the you-know-what out of me!). (Question #2: Does anyone have or know where I can find a copy of the owners manual so I can repair the cable?)

BrianBSHS

Cadet
Re: Please help this noob.

Re: Please help this noob.

Things I've replaced/fixed:
Bilge pump
Spark plugs
Trim button on johnson 110hp
Steering cable
Rebuilt both side walls
Silicone on 2 side windows and skylight
Wax and buffered hull
Fixed hole in hull
Fixed wheels on trailer
Replaced both bearings on trailer
Replaced fish finder
Replaced ignition switch (lost key)
New prop
Re-upholstered cushions in cuddy
Fuel filter
Rewired whole boat
---------------------------
Need to buy/replace:
fuel lines and ball
Throttle cable assembly
Vinyl repair
New anchor/navigation light (the throttle blew today and my brother turned into another boat and the light shattered. The other boat was much bigger, nobody was on it, and it's a LONG story..)
Lobotomy.

mlrman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Please help this noob. 1989 Sunbird

sounds like you have quite the project.

as for the owners/service manual, don't waste your time. I have all the original manuals and paperwork for my 1991 Sunbird Corsair 198, and it is a joke!

I bet searching the forum or other posters will get you the info you need.

good luck.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I won't be any help on the throttle cables, but I'll chime in on the fuel problem. Running out of fuel will not cause the ball to collapse. Running out of air will cause it to collapse. In other words, check your fuel vent. The ball is collapsing because a vacuum is being created by the engine trying to pull fuel from a tank with nothing to replace the fuel in the tank (air). Think of a bottle of cola. You can turn it upside down, and try and suck out as much of it as you want, but if you don't let air into the bottle, you'll eventually collapse the bottle (assuming it's a modern plastic bottle), and not get any pop/soda out of it. So, check to make sure your fuel vent isn't clogged or obstructed, and correct as necessary. One way to verify that this is the problem is to open your gas cap (just enough to allow air in), and see if it happens again. If it doesn't collapse, you know it's your vent. If it still collapses, then I'd say your pick up is clogged. If it's your pick up, it's probably gummed up from the wonderful E10, which may have been added to some MTBE gas that was in the tank previously, or just old gas. Good luck!

BrianBSHS

Cadet

Thanks for your response. I would have to fix the throttle cable before I can check to see if the air vent is clogged by the way described. Next to my water separate, there is a small silver cap; my father just replaced this so if we're talking about the same thing, I'm sure this couldn't be the issue.

img00019201007272227.jpg

img00022201007272228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cr2k

Captain

You can not repair your cable you will have to replace it.

BrianBSHS

Cadet

I can't find anything on my boat anywhere. It seems an 89 Sunbird is virtually non-existent on paper. Google Images barely has any picture of the boat. I guess that's what I get for not buying a major brand.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about your luck. Sunbird is about the lowest quality brand you could buy. Still could be a perfectly servicable boat if it was well maintained, which it sounds like yours wasn't :( Your Johnson motor though should be a great motor. Welcome to the forum and good luck getting all your problems sorted out. We'll get you through it.

striper2101

Seaman Apprentice

Brian,

I had a 1989 Sunbird Barletta 204 cuddy with a 120 Johnson. I think I was the third owner when I got it. It was my first boat, kept if for 4 years and it ran great for me. I had to do some upgrades to the wiring, and replace some stuff on the trailer, but I thought it was a great first boat. I see you are on the island, if you need a mechanic, I can recommend the guy I use. Let me know. What model Sunbird do you have?

Had a simular situation on my 194 SPL Sunbird... the fuel primer ball would be sucked in and not release and the motor would stall... I then replaced the squeeze ball, changed the fuel filter and verified that the fuel air vent was clear... but in the end it was a .50 cent clogged small screen on the end of the fuel tank filler tube. Once I removed that screen and reassembled it all was good.

As long as you replace the fuel filter annually any existing floating debree in the tank should be caught by that fuel filter.

Hope this was helpfull...