Please help settle a bet

A friend of a friend said he lost one of his props because the 'pin fell out'. His boat is a 2003 34' Sundancer. Is this possible? My alpha I gen II just has a bolt(and a lock washer for the removable hub). I have a case of beer riding on this one. Thanks for any help.

salty87

Commander
Re: Please help settle a bet

it is possible but i think it would be a long shot. assuming this is an inboard, there's a cotter pin behind the shaft nut. if the pin fell out, the nut would have to back off too. a 34'er would be kept in the water making this event more unlikely but this boat is only a 2003 so corrosion and growth might not have been too bad.<br /><br />possible....yes. likely....not very.

hohmanr

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe your friend is calling the shaft itself a pin..??? They have been known to just fall out or snap in half....

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Tom97Sundancer <br />my thinkin' on this is that someone else wanted that prop real bad...bad enough to steal it... :D

wally jr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks like you lost a case of beer...looll

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Well, if he meant the cotter pin, then sure. The cotter pin keeps the nut from backing off. If the pin goes, you're unlikely to notice, and it's just a matter of time before the nut backs off.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Newer Merc outdrives don't use pins. They use a tab/lock washer.

LubeDude

Admiral

If he just lost the prop and not the whole shaft and prop assy, then there is no pin as Quantumleap has stated.