Please Help Quick!! Looking Tonight~!

sham

Seaman
Hi - I know I've been buggin all of ya'll too much but PLEASE help - I'm probably looking at this boat tonight and I need advise! It is a 1987 Sea Ray with talk about a motor and work done to it that I don't understand not to mention lots of other things they have done to it. If this is the wrong place for this post - move it and let me know PLEASE!!! Here is the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/764000079.html

PLEASE - YOUR ADVISE QUICK - AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!! THANKS!!!:eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Please Help Quick!! Looking Tonight~!

all he has done is normal maintenance. they 140 is the 4 cylinder, miminum motor for that boat. the whale tail on the outdrive is proof he had trouble getting on plane.

CATransplant

Admiral

Also, when the ad says "interior is in fair to average condition," check very carefully for soft spots in the floor, which could indicate serious problems with water intrusion and rot...perhaps another reason he had to add the whaletail to plane the boat.

Walk around on all parts of the deck, and get a sea trial before committing to any boat. Soft spots or strange noises? Walk away.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This looks like a pretty good one. As with any boat that age, check carefully for rot.

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

3500 sounds high for that boat.
The whale tail is telling of some issue. The engine may be weak, making it harder to plane off Have it checked out. Less power. Compression may be low. Interiors are not cheap to repair either.. Pull on the outdrive from side to side. If their is play gimbles probably need attention. . and that isn't cheap either.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Compared to the others that you were looking at, I think this boat is worth a serious look. As discussed in yesterday's topic, checkout the interior wood components carefully. Walk around and feel for soft spots on the floor. Good places to look are towards the back of the boat where water would typically collect.

I wouldn't worry about the hydrofoil (aka whale tale). I would guess that 50% of the used boats that I have seen in this range have these installed by the previous owner. Tubing as you skiing as you desire should be sufficient with this setup (17' boat with 3.0L engine). As I noted before, this engine is very common on bowrider boats of this size. It is the entry level engine and you won't have the fastest boat on the lake, but I think you find it more than sufficient.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Dan

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm just curious why the guy mentioned replacing the points and condensor and upgrading to electronic ignition all in the same sentence? Once you upgrade, replacing the points and condensor is a mute point. Seems like he is just throwing around words that he has heard before from other people.

Splat

Lieutenant

I'm just curious why the guy mentioned replacing the points and condensor and upgrading to electronic ignition all in the same sentence? Once you upgrade, replacing the points and condensor is a mute point. Seems like he is just throwing around words that he has heard before from other people.

Was thinking the same thing too, I thought maybe somebody knew more than I did about engines so I was just going to keep my mouth shut.

Bill

sham

Seaman
Re: Please Help Quick!!

Well, you all are awesome!!! Thanks so much for the advise. Boat was "nice" - somewhat - was wet where he said he was "cleaning it out" - I find it that he was trying to hide stuff. He did tell us that the blige pump needed replaced and he hardly used it and that the blower never worked but then he showed us a "soft" spot on the floor by the captain seat where the "under floor" storage is and it was rotted! I then had seen enough - especially when he said he was 'firm' on his price. So - now - here I am!! I have two others that - yes - I'm gonna get your opinions on cuz you have not failed me yet!!! The first is one I've not heard of - a "beretta success ss" and here is the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/766033145.html no pics as I am going by there probably tomorrow or the next day as it isn't too far and the guy told me that the back sundeck is a little worn as that's where everyone sits/lays and needed hinges put back on it. Said the bottom end had been replaced 7 or 8 years ago - not sure why but can find out as this boat has been in his family since it was purchased off of the showroom floor here in Indiana in 1989. Said the trailer is a "tennessee"?? Said the Oil Cooler was out but will get it fixed before the sale and deduct price of about $300.00?? Been on Dale Hollow lake most of it's "life". So let me know!!

** Now - I have another one I need help with - it is a viking deck boat. Here's the link to this one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/763964968.html a bit pricey I know BUT here's the e-mail the lady sent to me after I sent her my questions:

MY QUESTION:
How fast does this boat go? Will it pull skiers/tubers? I'd like additional pics and if possible more info. When was it last on the water? What year is it? What year is the trailer and does it come with it? Approx. where on the southside are you - close to Beech Grove?
Thanks for any info!!

HERE'S HER ANSWER:

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am assisting my father in the sale of his boat and needed clarification on the response. It is a 1979 19ft Viking Deck Boat w/trailer. It has a 165 hp I/O engine. It does have a custom made road cover for travel and non-use. The only other accessory included is a fish finder that was installed approximately 3 years ago. It was last in the water about 3 years ago. It can go about 30 mph. It is great for skiers/tubers, and there is plenty of room for watchers as well. The boat is being stored on the Southside, around Franklin Rd & Southport Rd. If you have any other questions or would like to take a look at it, just let me know.

Thank you, Sarah Smith ***Here is a link to some additional pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/brettgodfrey/BoatPictures?authkey=52Xbvf6Dt5E

I'm leaving it up to ya'll as I need help!!! as usual!!! Sorry to be a pain!!:p

fishrdan

Admiral

Hey Sham,

Here's some free advice, take for what it's worth,,, probably about $.02 :D

Don't post direct links to boat's you are looking at, if you stumble upon the find of the century someone else might see it here and steal your find. Copy-n-paste the text and if you do have to post a pic, copy it somewhere else and link from there.

My neighbor was looking at a house and I told him to keep it under wraps until they knew it was a done deal. Well, the wifey couldn't help herself and blabbed all over they were buying the place,,, and then one of the other neighbors friends put in a higher bid,,, and then they put in a higher bid, yadda yadda yadda :rolleyes:

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

Well, you all are awesome!!! Thanks so much for the advise. Boat was "nice" - somewhat - was wet where he said he was "cleaning it out" - I find it that he was trying to hide stuff. He did tell us that the blige pump needed replaced and he hardly used it and that the blower never worked but then he showed us a "soft" spot on the floor by the captain seat where the "under floor" storage is and it was rotted! I then had seen enough - especially when he said he was 'firm' on his price. So - now - here I am!! I have two others that - yes - I'm gonna get your opinions on cuz you have not failed me yet!!! The first is one I've not heard of - a "beretta success ss" and here is the link: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/766033145.html no pics as I am going by there probably tomorrow or the next day as it isn't too far and the guy told me that the back sundeck is a little worn as that's where everyone sits/lays and needed hinges put back on it. Said the bottom end had been replaced 7 or 8 years ago - not sure why but can find out as this boat has been in his family since it was purchased off of the showroom floor here in Indiana in 1989. Said the trailer is a "tennessee"?? Said the Oil Cooler was out but will get it fixed before the sale and deduct price of about $300.00?? Been on Dale Hollow lake most of it's "life". So let me know!!

** Now - I have another one I need help with - it is a viking deck boat. Here's the link to this one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/boa/763964968.html a bit pricey I know BUT here's the e-mail the lady sent to me after I sent her my questions:

MY QUESTION:
How fast does this boat go? Will it pull skiers/tubers? I'd like additional pics and if possible more info. When was it last on the water? What year is it? What year is the trailer and does it come with it? Approx. where on the southside are you - close to Beech Grove?
Thanks for any info!!

HERE'S HER ANSWER:

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am assisting my father in the sale of his boat and needed clarification on the response. It is a 1979 19ft Viking Deck Boat w/trailer. It has a 165 hp I/O engine. It does have a custom made road cover for travel and non-use. The only other accessory included is a fish finder that was installed approximately 3 years ago. It was last in the water about 3 years ago. It can go about 30 mph. It is great for skiers/tubers, and there is plenty of room for watchers as well. The boat is being stored on the Southside, around Franklin Rd & Southport Rd. If you have any other questions or would like to take a look at it, just let me know.

Thank you, Sarah Smith ***Here is a link to some additional pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/brettgodfrey/BoatPictures?authkey=52Xbvf6Dt5E

I'm leaving it up to ya'll as I need help!!! as usual!!! Sorry to be a pain!!:p

The Viking looks pretty clean. I'd give that one a good once over and a test run.

jonesg

Admiral

There is no deal so good that you cannot afford to walk away from.

With that in mind, you will not get screwed.
Take time to learn how to assess a boat, or pay someone to take a look for you, even if you don't buy the boat, what you will learn from a surveyor will teach you how to assess for yourself on the next one.

The way some boats are described on craigslist...it takes a heart of stone not to laugh.

"Just needs some TLC",
aka; a TON of work and $1000 in wood to fix.
To me, TLC is something I do with windex, not a sawzall and crowbar.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

302 ford inboard omc outdrive, is enough for me to run the other way. OMC out drive is no longer supported for parts.
Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Avoid the beretta with the OMC. The Viking looks very nice.

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

"The Viking looks very nice."

Agreed, I think I would take a good look at that one. First off follow some of the advice listed above...mainly will it do what you want to do with it? The best deal in the world is worthless if what you are buying wont do what you want it to do. It's a buyers market out there right now and will only get better as the summer wanes.