Please Help A.S.A.P.* 89*85 hp*Force

swfladad

Cadet
I need to know how to remove the gear housing cover. I removed the 4 bolts that hold it down but it will not come off. this is the gear housing cover that the impeller sits on. I need an answer as soon as possible. my wife is tired of not having the boat in the water. I bought a new impeller and impeller housing kit. but I want to make sure my seal is good on the gear cover before I go any further. thank you very much to all who help me on this timely matter.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Please Help A.S.A.P.* 89*85 hp*Force

I'm not sure if you have it or not, but look for a 5th bolt under the trim tab.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please Help A.S.A.P.* 89*85 hp*Force

If you removed the four bolts that hold on the water pump and have removed the water pump housing, then you can replace the impeller without going any further.

If you want to remove the whole torpedo shaped plate to check the seals, then there is one more bolt (7/16 head) at the front and two at the rear. After removing them, you must gently pry up on the plate--much better at the water pump location so you don't bend it-- until it comes up. Do NOT unscrew the shift rod and try to twist the plate off. You will have a hell of a time screwing it back in. This plate carries a drive shaft seal under the stainless pump plate, an O ring seal around the part that projects into the gearcase, a shift rod seal, and another O ring in an irregular groove at the front. The two O rings seal the gearcase from water intrusion.

Check the seal at the front where the shift rod goes through. This gets a lot of abuse and is a frequent source of leaks. The shift rod should be snug but move smoothly. The seal should have no cuts or gouges in it. If the shift rod is loose in the seal, but the seal is not damaged, it is possible to hammer it down a small bit using an appropriate sized socket and a length of pipe. Just tap until the shift rod is snug -- too tight and it will interfere with shifting.

At the back of the plate, there is no seal since this portion covers the cooling water intake passage. However, it is a good idea to use a little RTV silicone seal here when you replace the plate.

Also remember to use either silicone seal or anti-seixe on the screws when you replace them. That makes your life a lot easier next time you go to remove them.